About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 25 October 2023

Agree or disagree?

 24th Oct

We did awake to rain and I’m certain it was the drumming on the roof that woke Toffee. For the last few days she has slept in and it's been well past 7 am before she got us up but this morning it was nearer to 6! It was still dark, a good job we have a flashy collar she can wear. At least we can see where she goes!

Rain stopped before 10 am and the plan was to leave and find a mooring before Soulbury three. First stop the facilities to empty all three cassettes and fill the water tank. So up Fenny lock with its rise of only 12 inches and before I could take FS in, a swing bridge spanning the lock had to be opened.



 

We must have travelled a few miles when in the distance, a boat was seen pulling away from its moorings This was good news as we now would have a locking buddy to share the locks and Stoke Hammond lock was but a couple of miles away. As it approached bridge 99 I could see something strange coming toward it. What on earth was it???

 

Soon found out, Electrofishing was the answer! I can understand this method for fish surveys, the fish are stunned for a minute or two and no harm comes to them but this was to capture and kill Zander. I know Zander is an invasive specious, fishermen are asked to kill them if caught but I find this electro method barbaric. My opinion alone though and I expect a lot of stick but it was not the fault of the fish that they were released into our canals and rivers, its our specious that can be blamed for that!

The swans were not happy!


Stoke Hammond lock came into view, the first boat entered and I started to follow but a blooming great clump of reeds happened to be in the lock on my side. So I made the decision to hang back, this worked as the lady noticed, realised what I was up to and pushed across moving the reeds out of the way. I then had a clear run in.

I reversed to stop FS and  a horrible clunking sound started from the prop, blast must have picked something up at the lock. The whole back end bounced as I tried to exit it's a wonder the engine didn't cut out. So Ian bow hauled FS to just beyond the lock landing, then in resignation lifted the weed hatch, donned the long glove, and placed a hand down into the depths. This was what was found.




A fender complete with rope attached. This would have been a great find but unfortunately the blades of the prop made a right mess of it. The only thing saveable was the rope it was attached too!

Just around the next bend and away from the lock was a lovely mooring. No cladding so out came the pins. Not quite so good for Toffee walks, no field to run in but it will do for tonight.

And in the field opposite



2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Irene,
I think that the electric shock stuns and kills the fish pretty fast and is probably less cruel than a hook through the mouth. But that's my view.
And it's a good plan to eradicate invasive species if they are killing off native species and destroying habitat.
I know it's something you struggle with - I know you are sympathetic to the bloody possums here in NZ and the bloody rabbits. But native species didn't ask for other species to be introduced and they don't deserve to have their habitat destroyed or stripped of food.
Big hugs, you softie!
Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

But those electric shocks target all fish, not just the species they want. We will never agree about this Marilyn although I sympathise with the problems of native wildlife. I feel live and let live is as it should be,

Big hugs back Xxx

Blog Archive