About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 21 September 2023

Feline concerns

 Wed, Set 20th

The wind and rain started quite early this morning. The solar panel was continually rattling, enough for us to vow that as soon as the rain stopped something would be put under the panel to stop it moving. Waking up between 6 and 6.30 am is getting beyond a joke especially when there is no need! Once Toffee arrives again mid October then yes...but until then...no!

So now to my cat issue. Jumping on FS is disliked by us both, only because of the damage and deep scratches to the super structure done several years ago but that does not mean I dislike cats. Far from it, having owned cats in the past, and my concern for one today had me wondering what I could do to help. 

When we cruised through Huddelsford on the way to Fradley, a ginger, black and white cat was seen on the top of the cratch board on a historic boat. I commented to Ian how the cat had a perfect place to observe its surroundings. On our return yesterday that cat was at the same place. You can just see it from my cropped photo of yesterday.



So far I have not seen anyone go onto that boat, and it seemed strange that the cat had hardly moved from its viewing platform. Then this morning, with the wind and heavy rain, I was extremely concerned to see it still there. It was soaked and must have been cold. Who owns it? Is it feral? I was considering leaving the cratch cover slightly open, just so it has somewhere to shelter but Ian was very reluctant saying we could cause all sorts of problems for ourselves. So all we can do is keep an eye open for an owner and then have a quiet word about allowing the cat somewhere warm and cosy to sleep. I will let you know what happens if I find out anything..




No comments:

Blog Archive