About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 14 September 2023

Retracing steps and no water on the lower Erewash.

So... that air bubble farting noise mentioned yesterday, well Ian decided to remove the step and try and fit into the hole holding the water tank to find the cause.  If he had been a midget all would be well but he was not built for such confined spaces and consequently had to try get himself into almost impossible positions.When he tried to straighten the joints again when he came out, well you should have heard the moans and groans.


Many years ago Ian put a back boiler into the stove and he had to make a false floor next to the water tank for the pipework to sit on. Could he remember how it was fixed? Nop, not at all. But the sole plate had to be checked and finding a loose bit of flooring, with brute force he managed to remove it!  Then it was shine the phone light into the hole and take a photo. What he found was very reassuring. The sole plate was as dry as a bone.

  What was discovered though, the end of one of the water pipe fittings, which had been attached to the back boiler, was leaking. Nothing major, just the occasional drip but enough to make the wood feel damp. Could this have been the problem? Anyway, sealant used on the end and no more drips. Now we will wait and see if that 'farting' has stopped.

After the rain of yesterday today was lovely and sunny. Shorts and T-Shirt on, stepped out onto the back deck, immediately turned around and back inside. Jeans and jumper was changed into pretty quick, brrr it was cold! Ian stayed in shorts and T-Shirt, that man is not normal! We left for Hawkesbury Junction, followed a boat who had set off minutes before, met several boats coming our way and found a mooring before the junction to stop for a short while. I ran out of spuds, wanted them for chips to go with Lamb Burgers tonight so it was a walk to the general store not too far from the Greyhound Pub.


A good hour later we left to go through the stop lock, turned right at the junction to join the Coventry Canal.

Through the narrow section and a boat was seen heading our way, then from the water tap mooring a boat pushed out without looking. I can imagine the words spoken from that other boater.

Remember that plastic cruiser Ian and Marilyn moved so we could moor with them? Well more overstay notices on it, it must be abandoned because the engine has gone and inside has been stripped.

So we again went past Marston Junction and the Ashby Canal, that sunken boat had been moved toward the bank from where we had seen it in the middle of the channel. .

Just before bridge 16 we decided to moor. It was quiet and very rural. But the silt scuppered our plans and I got FS well and truly stuck! First Ian tried pushing the bow away from the bank, I went into reverse but that silt hung onto the hull and wouldn't let go

Then the pole came out, the stern was moved away from the side which brought the bow back towards the bank. Another hefty shove with the pole at the front and away she came.

A few metres past bridge 16 we managed to get right alongside. Another rural moorings, nice but poor internet and TV. To do this blog and add photos took forever!

Our friends Jenn and Jim (nb Dire Straits) have been waiting to ascend the Erewash and get back to Langley Mill for over a week. For several weeks low water has been a problem between Gallows Inn and Pasture lock. Today they heard from a CRT guy that with care they could proceed along the Erewash and head to the top. So they left Sawley, turned onto the Erewash at Trent Lock and proceeded to Sandiacre. Then the bombshell was dropped.  a message came through on CRT stoppage list that the canal remained closed. They managed to get a mooring above Sandiacre Lock, that pound was still in water and first thing  Jenn did was to walk to Pastures lock to see what was happening. She saw this.

For their sake I hope the water levels can be brought back to normal soon.


Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

It's a bit bizarre seeing your photos of places we recently were and knowing we are unlikely to see them again!

Thinking of you both lots, M&Dxxoo

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

I know, lots of memories were made though. And we will be doing the same journey twice more! before we finally return to Langley Mill!

Blog Archive