About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 12 December 2022

A productive day

11th December

Ian has a new women, gone is the wife of yesterday with her unruly and wild hair and in its place is very shorn amazed women who now discovers showing the ears is very fashionable. What a fabulous job Marilyn made... hmm, maybe I should have given a tip....no, on second thoughts throwing insults at that women is ten times more fun for me and I know how much Marilyn thrives on it! (I get more back!!!) I wasn't the only one to go under the scissors, in fact David was in the chair very early and the message came through to say the salon would be closing soon so stir my stumps, and get dressed if I wanted a trim. Ian didn't get away either as this photo shows.

We had a busy day, Ian helping David doing electrical stuff and me being coerced  choosing to give Marilyn a hand with preparing a dinner party for the evening. Four of their neighbours were coming that night and the menu consisted of Mushroom Wellington, Roasted Beetroot, Asparagus, Mushroom Sauce, side salad and what is called over here, a stone fruit dessert with cream. (stewed Nectarines) Wow, that woman works hard. I was with her nearly every step of the way and how she manages to get every stage done without fluster or any food residue upon her person, is beyond me. I would have been covered from head to foot! 

Mushroom Wellington well under way



I made good use of Marilyn's washing machine. Bedding went in, ashamed to say it had been a good three weeks since the sheets were last changed, and what with all the everyday clothes, it took two loads.

After all her hard work in the kitchen, Marilyn took time out for a relax in the sun. Book came out, and was lost in the world of literature. Me....no time for any of that malarkey, my time was put to use with needle and thread. First the pop tops zip was starting to come away from the fabric. Not by much but if left would have been a bigger job in the future, and then folding the now dry clothes off the line, discovered the stitches had perished on the waistband of one of Ian's undies. I did sit with Marilyn for a short while undertaking that task.

All to soon the day had gone and the dinner party rapidly approaching. All hands to the pumps as one might say, with the cooking, laying of table, sorting the drinks etc. Bang on 6 pm they all arrived. Robin, Brian, Bruce and Rowena!  I should have got a photo but chatting away as one does, clean forgot. Anyway it was a great success and to all veggies out there, that Wellington was the best and really very easy to prepare. Maybe Marilyn could include the recipe in her blog.... Marilyn?????

So tomorrow we leave for the South Island. Weather looks to be good for the crossing as does the next few days. New adventures to come.

2 comments:

nbwakahuia.blogspot.com said...

I have to say you are a pretty good kitchen hand, Irene - you moan a lot and constantly complain about being coerced, and whine about having your ears showing, but overall, with my earplugs in, I could just ignore the whining ...

I'll send you the two recipes involved, Irene, and you can publish them (the caramelised red onions and the Mushroom and Brie Wellington), noting that I did them as individual pasties rather than one long loaf thing. The next time, I would roll/fold up the edges after squishing them together with the egg-wash.
The dessert was roasted stonefruit - not stewed, ffs! Cooked with some lemon juice and maple syrup - I usually use honey but I think maple syrup turned out much better.

It was lovely having you to stay and such a lot of laughter is good for the heart and health, isn't it?

Looking forward to catching up in the South Island in January - you will need another haircut by then and your ears will be hiding again, so I will pack the clippers etc!

Big hugs, Mxx

Anonymous said...

Wow that was a fabulously busy day that looked so enjoyable for all, looking at the pics.
Well done to Mariyn who can always be quite creative with her cookery skills, producing deliciously tasty food.
Does she have to cut her own hair tooo I'm wondering?
A lovely blog today and good to see you all having fun, thank you.
Ann Makemson xx

Blog Archive