About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 3 April 2013

The power of the wind. A day of mishaps!

Tomorrow Icing comes off of dry dock and as there were still things to do, like another coat of  bitumen on both sides of the hull, out came the rollers and another coat of blacking was applied. Then all Dave had to do was finish the gloss for Dennis ( he had sliced his thumb earlier in the week removing the gas bottle and ended up at the A&E  to have it dressed. No stitches needed thank goodness ) and apart from a bit of titivating, everything had now been done. Both 'Icing' and 'Bracken' are heading back to Langley Mill while we stay here until after the weekend. Ian's brother is having his 70th birthday bash at Evesham and we are expected to arrive on Friday. Before I continue I just aught to say for those that read my post yesterday, Ian returned not long after 7pm so not quite the midnight that I had imagined. As per usual he couldn't sleep due, we think, to the steroids that are administered during the chemo and so Wednesdays are always an 'off' day with him falling asleep at a drop of a hat. He also has very bad indigestion throughout the day which makes him a bit grumpy at times. Thursdays are always better and by Friday he feels more like his old self again. So anyway on with my post. I decided to go out and take a final photo of the boats all together and just as I left our boat this happened.



It's a good job the wind was blowing away from our boats otherwise Jandai and ourselves could have been severely  damage.


 
The fiber glass roof from one of the house boats was completely torn off by a sudden gust of wind. I had just walked into the dock area when it happened and the noise it made gave me quite a shock, I can tell you. The chap came running out from inside the houseboat and as the wind was still whipping the roof about I felt somewhat worried that he might get injured. As luck would have it a mate of his turned up and between them managed to cut and then manhandle the roof out of harms way. 




 What is left of the roof has been placed in a field opposite. It's a good job it wasn't raining but the house boat still needs to be made water tight so it's a trip out for them to get some roofing felt.

After the excitement had died down and I was just emptying cupboards to give them a good clean, (how does the dust get inside closed doors!!) I heard Ian calling out to someone across the canal. Who should have come down the Erewash but James and Amy on Nb Willow. They have been doing a fit out at Langley Mill and from what I can gather are on their way home. As I poked my head out to say hello, James tripped over the bollard and slid gracefully into the canal. Luckily he managed to save having a complete ducking by grabbing hold of the bank as he was on his way in so only his lower half got wet. No doubt he felt a complete prat especially as it had been witnessed by all of us but pulling himself out post haste, James laughingly said that at least his phone stayed dry! Where was my camera when I needed it. Hope only your pride was damaged James(:


No comments:

Blog Archive