About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 4 April 2013

Our new cratch cover

Last Thursday Dave from DB covers arrived to measure up for a new front cover. Mould had been the bane of my life for years (see post) and try as I might, nothing had shifted it. It was time to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. We hunted on the web and in the Towpath Trader. We looked at forums and comments and DB covers seemed to have had a lots of positive feed back. We contacted him while still at Langley Mill and the next day he turned up with prices and samples. Arrangement's were made for him to measure up while we were in the dock and his parting comment was the cover would be ready mid April. Imagine our surprise when he phoned this morning to say it was ready and could he come to fit it. As we were wedged in by two boats, Jandai on the inside and Bracken on the outside, it seemed logical to push over to the towpath and get Dave to fit it there. The only problem with that was the wind.  Bracken was first away and managed to get across without mishap. As I reversed out the bow swung across and hit the house boat. The owner was on his roof replacing the roofing felt after the damage the wind had done yesterday so he wasn't to happy with me, I can tell you. I apologised profusely and he reluctantly said no harm done. Maybe not to his boat but Ian's new paintwork was scratched all along the side of the gunwale. I'm sure even Ian would have struggled (at least that's what I like to tell myself.) Anyway Dave arrived on time and within an hour and a half had the cover fitted.








  Both of us are really pleased with the look and finish. The colour matches the boat perfectly and already we have noticed how much lighter the inside feels in the well deck, especially having the light grey in the interior. I think Dave from DB covers is one I would recommend so I have added a link to my side bar.

While I stayed with Dave, Ian went across to help fill the dock and get Dennis on Icing re floated. Dennis also had trouble with the wind but he has the added bonus of a bow thruster and made it look very easy, especially as he had to wind first.

Notice the chap re-felting his roof. That was the house boat I hit.



Ian and Dave closing the dock gates.
This weekend we are off to Ian's brothers for his 70th party so for the next few days my daily pics will appear again. Once back we are going to have a jaunt up the River Soar to see how the new prop handles.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Your new cover looks great. I bet that wasn't cheap . . . come over and visit and see the boat we just purchased . . . it's our project to get it up and sailing by June. Also, Steve and I are celebrating our 37 wedding anniversary with a $25 Amazon gift card give-a-way, so come put your name in the hat.
Sorry about the mishap with your neighboring boat, things happen, especially when the wind kicks up.
Have a great weekend,
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Connie,

You have one hell of a project on your hands but she looks to be a beautiful boat. Good luck on getting Gypsy Rose in the water by June and don't forget to name her properly by cracking a bottle of Champagne on her hull.

Happy Alabaster (37th) Anniversary.

All the best

Irene

Mark's Auto Trim said...

Great!! This post is very helped me. Really convinced me. I'm so interested!! Boat covers in Oshawa Ontario
Boat carpet in Oshawa Ontario

Blog Archive