About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 7 September 2011

A night in A & E Burton

On my last post I said that come hell or high water, we would leave the moorings at Branston. As it turned out we very nearly didn't. After I experienced sever abdominal pains yesterday afternoon, Ian decided to take me to a NHS Walk In center somewhere in Burton. Well, we soon found out Burton doesn't have a Walk In center so the only alternative was to take me to Burton A and E. Bad move!!!! To cut a long story short, we arrived at 6 pm and after a 3 1/2 hour wait, finally got to see a doctor. He was unsure as to what the pains were so sent me for an xray. By now I was panicking about the dog having been on her own all that time. ( Having lost her mum Judy recently and never been alone before I worried on how she was coping.) Thank goodness Ian still had our car and we didn't have to rely on public transport, so he left me to it and returned to the boat. Its times like these that I'm glad we haven't got rid of it! Anyway the xray didn't show much so the word Diverticular Disease then came to the fore front. The doctor then decided as a precaution he would admit me to the ward and start me on an antibiotic drip. I couldn't believe it. Stay in over night!!!  I had nothing with me.No nightie, toothbrush, and most important,no clean undies!! After a hasty phone call to Ian I told him not to return to the hospital and I would hopefully see him in the morning. Now the NHS is normally wonderful , until that is, they forget to set the drip in motion!  After having dug around to find a good blood supply in my arm and failed twice, they finally  managed to locate a good blood vessel, attached me to the drip but then  forgot to turn it on!!!! What on earth was I doing here then! It wasn't until 5 hours later at 4.30 am that a nurse came along and realised the mistake!! So now I had to have a cannula inserted into another vein and the antibiotics syringed in. Finally at 11.40 am today I was told I could leave the ward, with a letter stating that I was to return in a couple of weeks to have further investigation. I await a date. Ian came to collect me and then after returning to the boat, we made the decision that instead of taking our car back to our garage we would head off for Alrewas, leaving the car at Branston until Ian could take it home. So...... in the end we did move but it was touch and go for a while that we weren't tarred with the same brush as continues moorers!!


Jo Lodge said...

Oh no poor you. It never rains unless it pours. I hope your feeling a little better and they find out what the problem is. Lots of gentle hugsssssss xxxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Jo. I am feeling loads better and Ian is pampering me by cooking the dinner!

Blog Archive