About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 5 September 2011

Fun at Tatenhill lock

The wind has picked up causing may ham with boats trying to leave the moorings. I'm ever so glad we are staying put. I watched the country file forecast last night. It seems that some well earned rain is on the way. Not so good is the predication's of high winds. As we are hoping to leave tomorrow ( after Ian has returned our car to the garage ) it might be 'us' that struggle to leave these moorings!
 Taking Jade for her walk this morning I power walked up to Tatenhill Lock.( All in the hope to lose a bit of weight!)  Just before the lock was a driveway. On the driveway was some iron gates. On top of the gates and acting as decorations were these car pistons. What a great idea. Its a whole new meaning to recycling. Now I wonder if I can persuade Ian to cover our roof in used oil filters???? Maybe Not!!!!!!!!
  After taking this photo I was just about to set off back to the boat when I spied a lone boater arriving at the lock landing, He loosely tied his boat from the centre ring to a bollard in the middle of the lock landing, and with the wind pushing his boat away from the side, he then disappeared with windless in hand to set the lock. What he didn't do was to look back because just behind him one boat had already arrived closely followed by another. So there he was taking all the landing, and with his boat now well and truly away from the side,  the following boats could do nothing but try to sit out and do battle with the wind. Next thing a Canaltime arrived. As usual it was going flat out and hadn't taken in the situation that was now taking place in front of him. I had visions of a multi boat pileup but with me waving my hands and shouting as loud as I could, managed to avert disaster when he slammed the boat hard into reverse. I then started walking back to our boat when who should come passed? Nb Bounty owned by Tom Crossley editor of Narrowboatworld I told him of the queue forming by the lock to which he thanked me and slowed down to a sadate pace. So, with all that excitement this morning, I power walked back to the boat and thankfully flopped into my chair to enjoy a nice cup of tea and a well earned rest.


No comments:

Blog Archive