About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 23 July 2011

Monster Perch

We said farewell to our new friends on nb Gracie this morning and headed off to Rugeley. As it was Saturday we assumed that the Morrison moorings might well be full and thankfully we decided to stop at bridge 67 which is the one near Aldi.We were not wrong! Walking along the towpath toward Morrisons all we could see was boat after moored boat. You couldn't even have squeezed a canoe in between it was that congested. More boats arrived all looking for a space but there was none to be had. I'm very glad we arrived when we did as any later and we would have been the ones searching for a mooring. On returning to the boat I noticed a pair of swans with their young. There was something different about one of the signets. That's when it struck me. One was very much paler then the other. Almost white rather then the dark grey they normally are.


Both Signets with it's parent.


Normal grey colour,


And the nearly white one.
  After stocking the larder in readiness for a weeks stay at Shobnall we set off again to find a quiet mooring for the night.  All the promising ones were taken but eventually we found the perfect spot just by bridge 55 and a stones throw from Kings Bromley Marina.
Ian decided to touch up the gunwales again ( Its a never ending job especially when I'm steering!!!) and I set up my rod and went fishing. After an hour and only having caught 2 roach I had all but decided to pack up when suddenly my float took off and the elastic at the end of my pole stretched alarmingly. I knew I was into something big and I could only hope that the line didn't snap. When the fish finally surfaced I couldn't believe my eyes. The biggest Perch I have ever seen! Now if only I could land it...... I shouted for Ian to give me a hand and between us we landed the monster. What a thrill. Ian took a photo and I decided to weigh it. 2lb 6oz was the reading on the scales. Now that's big!!!

My smile tells it all.
 I cant see me beating that in the near future!

No comments:

Blog Archive