About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 28 September 2023

Vaccine misery.

 What a night. Woke a tad after midnight feeling unwell and I'm sure it had something to do with the vaccinations. My right arm was throbbing and movement painful, I had indigestion, felt hot and very shivery and the mother of all headaches started around 2 am. Never have I been so pleased to see the light of day, It was one of the longest nights since the 26 hour journey home from Australia! Anyway I put it down to the Pfizer vaccine. Before we had Moderna and AstraZeneca so this was a new one for me.
For the first time I stayed in bed and Ian got us underway. So strange to lie there with the boat moving.  It felt all wrong, I had to get up and probably a good job too because the bread machine was on, Ian is the bread maker in our household, well he puts all the ingredients into the machine and after a certain amount of time the paddles would have to come out. This involves removing the dough from the machine, taking out the paddles and placing dough back and ta da...No huge great holes in the bread then! I didn't fancy taking over the steering in my PJ's just so Ian could do that job. 

As we approached Rose narrow boats, Ian gave then a ring to enquire the diesel price. Crikey talk about having gone up! £1.60 litre, I reckon this must be about the same as garage forecourt prices! Unfortunately we had met Jules fuels boat but both of us were going in opposite directions. We did manage to ask what their prices was At £1.15 a much more realistic price!


Rose boats pedestrian swing bridge

A much easier way to get off to do the bridge, Handy having hire boats there.

 In the end we stopped at Armada boatyard and dieseled up. At £1.20 litre this didn't seem too bad, Ian could live with that.




So we made it to Rugby and now will await the storm. Everything that needs securing on the cabin top has had bungees wrapped around. The wind has just started to pick up which is helping to dry my washing nicely. And what was very surprising for this popular place, plenty of spaces to be had!

Rugby

4 comments:

Adam said...

I use this site to check on diesel prices, and whenever I see one advertised I email Bob so he can keep it more up to date (some of the info is years old). http://diesel.afmm.org.uk/

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Adam, that's good to know.

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Irene,
I know you post a day or so later than the actual events you write about. Buyt just in case you are still feeling poorly, get on to the paracetemol, Vit D and zinc.

All of our vaccinations in NZ were Pfizer (the govt bought that as the mainstay and then a couple of others for people for whom the Pfizer could have bad side effects).
Only once (out of 5 shots) did I have a reaction of tiredness and headache.

We really rate the Armada team - good people.

Big hugs to you both,

Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Marilyn, The paracetamol was my sweetie during the headache stage. I am feeling much better but have a very bad cough now. Did a test yesterday with a negative result for Covid. Actifed is now being taken three times a day.

Xxx

Blog Archive