About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 13 September 2023

I need longer legs!.

 Last night a sound was heard coming from the Starboard side near the bow. Ian has heard it before and I must say is starting to concern him. To describe the sound is a bit crude but there is no other way of telling  it. Think of a Fruity fart a bit like a low grumbling sound! Lasts for seconds and then nothing is heard for a while. He likens it to air bubbles escaping, ...that does not sound good at all! So today's plan is to take everything out of the locker in the well deck and under the step leading to the water tank.What we do not want to find is water!

Rain has arrived, welcomed by gardeners but not by boaters! Many a hire boater will have to brave the conditions and move on, we on the other hand, could stay nice and dry, not travel at all today and this was our intention. 9 am and the rain eased to a fine mizzle, "Shall we get underway" asked Ian. Like a mug I agreed, took the helm and set off through the woods. Well how short-lived was that dry patch. It got so bad I had to grab the brolly, Ian stayed below, he hates a brolly!  







With the rain hammering down we tried to stop before bridge 30. Could we get anywhere near to the sides? Not a chance. I had managed to jump off with the stern rope but then was stuck on the bank, no way was my legs long enough to get back on! A walk down the gunwale then, fraught with danger (hmm...just a slight exaggeration) and the fender was knocked down so I wouldn't step on it. Ian shoved off the bow and walked to open the small swing bridge by Rose boats.


Just a bit too far for me.


 

There is a water point at the approach to the small pedestrian swing bridge. The boat we were following (a hire boat) stopped there for water but they had tied in such a way that the stern was blocking the exit. Ian had to go and ask them to move, they really had no idea why!


Moving the boat.

Ian took over the helm, I went below to dry off. Huh...typical...the rain had almost stopped, just a bit of drizzle now. My timings are awful! But it was not to last and again down it came. To say he was wet through by the time we did stop between bridges 12 and 11 was an understatement. I offered the brolly again...he poo pooed that idea so serves him right!





2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Irene,
I won't use a brolly either - I get a sore arm and hand holding it. I'd rather take my chances with my coat and hat, and my wet weather trousers if necessary!

That wet day, we stayed inside and did clearing and cleaning - it was good actually to have no choice in the matter!

And I don't blame you not jumping off there - I have lost my confidence about giant leaps on my short legs: it's not so much the leap as the landing for my ankles!

Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Ah, but I cradle the brolly handle between my arm and tiller. In that way no sore arm! (:
Xxx

Blog Archive