About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 22 March 2023

Urghhhhh!

 

Yuk....how did I forget about that? 

Our first morning wake-up call in Oz was at 6.30am, Those Kookaburras, a family of 5 so my brother told me, started their very loud laughing song almost outside the bedroom window. The noise echoed all around and the answering calls could very plainly be heard from across the valley. Unlike blooming Cockrell's who never stop crowing, within a minute all was quiet once more. So a cup of tea was made and the daily Wordle completed before getting up.

A very lazy day, nothing at all planned except a trip to Hornsby to purchase a suitcase. Ours had been totally destroyed by the baggage handlers when we arrived in Oz last October, ripped sides and wheels hanging off, it was beyond repair. We gave it a ceremonial ditching by taking it all apart and stuffing it into the rubbish bins. But of course that meant we were a suitcase down and although plenty of shops selling bags, none were big enough for our needs. In the end we purchased a very large 140 lt travel bag with wheels. Ample room to bring everything home but not so expensive that if it gets damaged we wouldn't rant and rave over the fact. 

A visitor turned up in the afternoon. Loud screeching was heard coming from the balcony and there, perched on the rail was a Rainbow Lorikeet. Bread was produced and held out to it. So tame it hopped onto my brother's hand and tucked into that bread. I, too, tried to feed it and the same thing happened. A wonderful moment which quite made my day,


 So now back to my opening sentence. 

"Let's take Hank out" said my brother Andy, "Down to paw rock" Now this is a large rock where my brother and Sally had taught a party trick to their previous dog Neddy. He would have to place a paw onto it before being allowed to continue with the walk.  It sounded ideal but we had instructions not to go in sandals but wear socks with walking shoes. The ground could be muddy but worse than that, leeches also lay in wait for a hot blooded meal to pass by. Well....on hearing that, sod just the socks and shoes, long trousers would also have to be warn. 

Off we went, a really lovely walk through the bush. We stopped at various streams and spied a water dragon basking on the rocks.


Andy far left, Hank and Ian







A good hour was spent, Hank thoroughly enjoyed himself, Sally at one point stopped and pulled a leech from her leg, she was only wearing shorts. I congratulated myself at being sensible by wearing long trousers and felt rather smug at that! Got back home and the first thing was to check Hanks paws. Sure enough two were found. "You had better check your legs" said big Bro. Ian went first, one was attached to his ankle! Sally was fine, I nearly didn't bother but just to please my brother I pulled up my trouser legs. OMG...two dropped off from inside, neither had attached themselves but it didn't stop me freaking out! I raced upstairs, stripped off and went over every inch of my trousers as well as my legs making sure no more was about. Somehow I don't think that walk will be taken by me again. I cannot express how revolted I am by leeches. Totally irrational I know but nothing will ever make me change my mind.

The ones that dropped off

We are a bit of a loss as to what to do tomorrow. The weather looks to be bad, rain coming in, could be a day for just chilling out and watching films.

And wildlife

Golden Orb
Bush Turkey








 

1 comment:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Leeches are a bit phobia-producing, aren't they? Our daughter went swimming in a waterhole outside Canberra at some friends' place and got them on her. She said it was icky, but she did go in again ... Braver than her mum and dad!

So what's been happening since this post? Haven't you and Andy had a significant birthday?

Big hugs, Mxx

Blog Archive