About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 14 March 2023

A Deja Vu moment.

 March 14th

From being the only van in the car park, from 6 onwards there was a steady procession. Most sleeper cars and what I couldn't understand was, with a whole car park to stop in why did some have to park right by us!

 

It was haircut day. The salon opened at 10 am for walk in customers, I was outside by 9.50 am and already two other ladies waiting. So my wait was a good 45 minutes before getting in the chair. Still, she razor cut my hair, never had that done before, but I think it looks okay, quite short at least so I won't have to have it cut again until I get back to the UK. Ian said it was fine, not as good as when Marilyn cuts it (and she doesn't charge either)  Cost 50 dollars, still I suppose that's the going price here in New Zealand.

 

Ian wanted a hoodie, has been after one for ages and finally found just what he was looking for in a souvenir shop. But that wasn't all he bought. Yet another T Shirt and a polo top all went into the basket. He took ages to decide, and you men think us women are bad! Anyway from the same shop managed to buy my brother his birthday present, I hope he buys me one too what with us being twins. It will be our 70th but not until end of March.

The drive to Lake Ngaroto seemed to take forever. it was not really our planned stop, that would have been at Kawhia Hot Water Beach. At low tide, springs of hot water can be seen bubbling through the sand. We had hope to be able to reach it tonight as low tide was at 10 am tomorrow but with the time getting on and still another 60 km to do, we decided to stop at the lake instead. We may get up early tomorrow to make the dash to Kawhia, a lot depends on the weather. 

We had a Deja Vu moment whilst sitting enjoying the sunshine. Felt sure we had been here before. Looked it up and yes, we had been and with a memory that both of us would rather forget. It was with the ill fated Red Peril back in 2020. Have a look to see why HERE

 

The Red Peril in 2020 and in almost the same spot as today. The motorhome was named by Marilyn (Waka Huia)
 

 This evening though all was tranquil and good, a walk along the board walk for about 30 minutes across the wetlands and that photo of the Grey Teal, the one bird I had been trying to photograph for ages, was finally seen. So far nothing has parked next to us, but I don't suppose that will remain so.




And wildlife at the lake



Can anyone please tell me what this cocoon is harbouring?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your haircut looks quite shapely, was it actually done with a razor?
I like the floating boardwalks where you can get right in amongst wildlife.
The little yellow fishes are nice and I suspect that mysterious 'web' may belong to some sort of spider.
Good on Ian doing his own clothes shopping, I have to force the Cabin Boy to buy new clothes! Surprisingly he also agreed to buy trainers for the 1st time and wears them a lot.
Ann Makemson xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Ann
Yes, it was a complete razor cut, still undecided whether I like it or not. With Ian, he also detests clothes shopping, but he needed a fleece, and poo, pooed all the ones I showed. He chose well though. Xxx

Blog Archive