About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 17 March 2023

A runaway car, and what was that in the kitchen?

 March 17th

Well well well, late afternoon at Ohawe Motor camp and a loud bang was heard. Blimey...was that a vehicle through the fence and into a tree? Both of us rushed up to see if anyone was in it, someone could have had a seizure, heart attack, anything,  but we were relieved to find the car empty other than the usual dross one finds in old unloved cars.  Ian went back to tell the camp ground owner, she did no more than phone the Police, took down the vehicle reg, and take photos as proof. It appears as if the handbrake had not been applied properly (or it was faulty) but someone is going to get a very big shock when they return from their beach walk! 

Not long after and as dinner was being prepared, a police officer turned up. The car door was unlocked, details were taken, then he leaped over the fence to take a photo at the front.

Back to cooking dinner and suddenly a knock on the door. It was that officer. With just Ian and myself hearing the crash he wanted to know if we could shine any light on the incident. Well, we couldn't. The only thing I had seen was about 5 minutes before that crash, two youths walked down toward the beach with fishing rods. Anyway after he left I walked to where I thought the car had been parked and sure enough, track marks on the grass showed the direction of travel, agreeing with my deduction that the brake had failed.

 That cat was gone this morning, we thought we could hear engines reving about 8 pm but with it being dark, couldnt see where it ewas coming from.

So this morning, I did take advantage of the free washing machine. All the curtains were removed from the Toy and washed. A good drying wind was blowing should have dried the curtains in no time, I had just finished pegging them out when the rain started, just a few drops so decided to leave be. No sooner had I shut the door on the Toy when the few drops became torrential. I got soaked trying to bring them in, nothing for it but to hang them back up and let them dry in situ.  

The journey to Kai Iwi motor camp was horrible. High winds and torrential rain made the journey most unpleasant.

Its been like that all day with a short dry spell as we arrived at Kai Iwi motor camp. Today was supposed to be packing day, almost impossible with the showers but yes, somehow we managed to get everything in our two holdalls ready for the flight on Monday.


A camp kitchen is on this site, how wonderful that I can use two burners for cooking instead of just the one, although I'm a dab hand at one pot dinners after all this time. In the middle of the food prep something was seen out of the corner of my eye. It was a rat! Big at that, and it shot behind the cooker. One of the outside doors was open, within seconds he left the safety of the cooker and shot through that door and back outside. I should think this is a regular occurrence as it knew exactly where to go. Hmm, I think a walk to the reception tomorrow to report the problem, totally unacceptable to have vermin running about the place.

Tomorrow will be washing bedding, cleaning the Toy and getting last minute stuff found lurking in hidden corners into our already overloaded bags. Two more sleeps and farewell NZ.

No comments:

Blog Archive