About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 12 September 2021

Is that a shark in the Harbour?

 Friday morning and by 10 am we had all but said our goodbyes. Chris and Sheila were off to Lincolnshire in spite of Sheilas broken wrist, the decision was to continue their holiday until midweek and then head home. Alan and Angela were returning home and we departed for Bridlington

Crossing Humber Bridge this time we chose to pay the toll. Back in June we had inadvertently got into the lane for pre paid toll traffic and a large notice as we sailed past the toll booth with the demand of paying on line within 24 hours or a large fine would be the result!



We found this great park4night at a motel and pub at Carnaby. No stunning views, just a walled car park and there was noise a plenty with the chiming of the church bells on the hour (throughout the night too), trains clattering along the nearby railway sounding a horn every so often and traffic zooming past the entrance but what it did have was decent beer, good food and a very obliging landlord who allowed us to leave MB during Saturday whilst we took a bus into Bridlington.





Even the shopping trolley ends up in the sea!

There was a Kite festival on. We came across it on our way to the Model Village, which, I might add, had been recommended to us by a very nice lady at the information center, and told it was but 5 minutes walk from North Pier! Hmm, let's just think on that one. A 30-minute walk and still no sign!  Anyway, I digress. We could see the Kites way before we saw them up close. All shapes and sizes and on arrival a good place to sit on the grass to watch them whilst on that route march to the Model Village.


So that village.... one and three-quarter mile walk before we found it. Maybe by car it was 5 minutes but to walk?... anyway for the grand total of £3.60 we entered through electric gates into a different world. What a well-thought-out and brilliant setup and they even managed a narrowboat at the entrance to the harbour.





Even a shark swam in the harbour.

A land train stopped outside the Model Village. "Shall we take this back to the town center?" I asked hopefully. "Really?" said he "I thought you wanted to walk". His cheesy grin gave the game away because he was as eager as I to ride the distance back.

Crazy golf right opposite the land train stop and both of us said almost as one "Shall we?" Well of course we had to have a go and I'm ashamed to say I failed to win this time, in fact he wiped the floor with me losing 15 (Ian) to 32 (me).

Before getting the bus back and with Wetherspoon nearby and because I didn't fancy cooking, we went in. Now I'm not sure if other folk has found this but to us the meals are definitely going downhill. My Scampi batter was soggy and full of grease and Ian's burger very dry as if the chicken had been overcooked. This must be the third dreadful meal we have had this year. Ian is all for never darkening their doors again but I do love the curry served there. Unfortunately they had run out of Madras hence the Scampi!

And wildlife

Either a Redshank or Juvenile Oyster catcher. Thanks to Paul it's neither! It is in fact a Turnstone.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Ah well Irene, I have just got into the brown stuff with our son! As promised I sent him the picture of the bird with your suggestions and this is the reply I got "The picture is of a Turnstone (I am shocked you didn’t know this!!!)." Why should I have known? His company is Turnstone Ecology (https://www.turnstoneecology.co.uk/), so maybe his surprise at my lack of knowledge is understandable! Jennie x

Paul Clark said...

....or indeed a Turnstone!

Paul

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, both. I love having someone so knowledgeable to keep me on the straight and narrow. I must try harder though. Xxx

Blog Archive