About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 6 September 2021

I never said I was fast!

 Still nothing much in the way of wildlife, mores the pity. That does include nasty biting insects too, so every cloud as they say!

Anyway.... Sunday.....the weather seemed to be warming up and a few glimpses of the sun was spied. A conversation after breakfast had resulted in the bikes coming off the back of MB. Blimey, they were filthy! Smack our hands for not removing the Kielder Forest mud! Maintenance was needed on Ian's bike brakes. One of the pads didn't even touch the rim, that was never going to stop him 'running away' on the steep hill. Then tires pumped up and we were all but ready. 

Alan and Angela, not bringing bikes with them, went off with Skye to walk to the Visitor center. Fully expecting to be gone before they returned, nop, a lot of fiffing and faffing by all other parties (including me) delayed the departure so it was after lunch before we finally waved them goodbye,

Right from the start, I had a problem. Blooming bike would not go where I wanted, and thankfully the road was not very busy 'cos my wobbling took me right across on the wrong side! Surely I hadn't forgotten how to ride the thing! Stopping on the verge and shouting to Ian for help, a discovery was made. The handlebars were loose, so no wonder I careered in all directions! That was easily fixed with an Allen key, but the next problem, not so.

Thats Sheila having her tyre pumped up

Ian testing my bike's handlebars.

 

We found what was called the family track, green on the map and nice and easy to break me in. Started off nice and level, but gradually the small hills started. Now, me and bike gears are not a marriage made in heaven! Trying to get my head around the 18 gears is impossible. I just couldn't remember if clicking the left-hand gear up would increase or decrease the drag. Likewise, the right gear, so when I wound it clockwise to the number 1, a horrible clanking and grinding greeted me and I found my legs turning at an alarming rate without going anywhere! So imagine this. At Kielder Forest, earlier this year, Ian raised the saddle. It was all to do with the knees and making my peddling pain free. But this meant I could no longer put a foot down when stopping. So there was I, little legs going around 19 to the dozen, and the reality hit me that the chain had come off. Almost in slow motion I started for the ground and at the same time a small child (hate her) came tearing past with the look of utter disbelieve that this adult was about to face plant the path! Ah, but some sort of survival mode kicked in as no way was I going to give this child the satisfaction of watching me lying prostrate in the dirt, and somehow, with splayed legs, I just managed to save my imminent embarrassment. By now, Chris and Sheila (who I might add have electric bikes!!) had stopped to see where I had got to. Ian was already on his way back and luckily had thought to bring the bike tools. He only needed a screwdriver 'cos by adjusting the tension on the gear linkage and reattaching the chain, managed to get me going again.

And we are off.

Halfway around and a short break
 

The 5-mile trip took well over 2 hours! Well, I never said I was fast! In fact, I definitely was the weaker link in this quartet! Back at the visitor center at last and a well-earned ice cream before the short ride to MB. Gosh, I was glad to sit on a soft seat. My nether regions felt a tad tender from the bike seat even though a super soft memory foam cover had been purchased a while back.

The sun had appeared and with all six being reunited, enjoyed a hot drink and a Churchill cake made by Angela followed by bread pudding cake by Sheila. 

It's game's evening tonight after I cook the dinner for all. Lasagna, Ceaser salad, coleslaw and Ian's Garlic bread followed by Banoffee pie. Nice and easy and stress-free.

Two meagre photos of a butterfly is all the offering for tonight.

Speckled Wood



4 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I am giggling at your biking woes, but am inwardly quaking - we are setting off tomorrow to pick up David's new e-bike, and to try both his and mine out in Napier and environs. I predict a fair bit of wobbling from me too. And a sore bum, as well ...

But you have made me wonder if a memory foam cover is available here. And I am looking to get some bike pants as well!

And I have NEVER been able to reach the ground when seated on any bike I have ever had - duck's disease.

Stay cycling, sweetheart,

Mxox

Jo said...

Hi Irene,
Nice to see you back blogging again. Me and bikes don't mix - I even once fell off an electric bike!

I always look forward to seeing what nature you've spotted, but although it's generally to be found along woodland rides, I think you will find your butterfly is a Speckled Wood and not a Woodland Brown.

Jo ex n/b Sarah Kate

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

I'm sure you both will be fine Marilyn and as for the memory foam seats, remember Halfords? It's a UK bike and motor vehicle parts retailer, and I wonder if you have something similar in NZ. Anyway, enjoy your first tentative outing.

Much love.
Xxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Jo. I usually try to check on the web, not having my butterfly and moths book with me. This time, too much of a hurry to check! I have amended the post.

Blog Archive