About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 22 September 2019

What thunderstorms.

Moorings at Wheelock last night. One gap left, just about squeezed in with a couple of feet to spare.
The weather forecast, rain from 5 am with thundery showers throughout the day....wrong!!! Okay, it did rain during the wee hours of the morning but what about those thunderstorms We planned to batten down the hatches and stay at Wheelock. Well, we are VERY ahead of schedule so a day staying put was agreed on. Not that Ian minded as the Rugby was also on and Ian particularly wanted to watch the Ireland v Scotland and England v Tonga games this morning. Quite a few boats moved early leaving a huge gap between ourselves and the next boat and we could have moved up to the next boat but oh...that road was noisy! Leaving Ian watching the match and it still staying dry, I set off to find a better spot.

Over a mile I walked before a suitable length of a piled edge could be found. No more rain forthcoming and I wondered about these thundery showers. Methinks the Beeb had got it wrong again! With the thought of a quieter night, I headed back to FS to suggest the move. Ireland and Scotland's game was still in progress but Ireland was so far ahead Ian agreed to go. "But we must be moored by 11.15am for the kick off of the England game," he said. That gave me just over 30 minutes to move FS to the water point, fill the tank, empty rubbish, do the loo! (well, Ian emptied the cassette. It was rather full and much too heavy for me to carry πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Œ) and get to the planned mooring. During the short cruise, I worried about getting FS into the side. Relief then when not only did we get to that chosen place in time but FS snuggled nicely against the bank. TV turned on and one very happy hubby watching the start.


Not a rugby fan myself  I debated what to do. The Starboard side of FS had been polished whilst still at the Mill and the Portside needed doing. "Hmm, that's what I'll do then," I thought. I discovered the polish covered better when I put it on with a small sponge. Got a much better shine than with a cloth. Halfway along and I stopped for lunch. What a silly move! No sooner had I started again and got another quarter of the way along when down came the rain! No chance of wiping the polish off, couldn't have wished the rain further away. Looks like the rest will have to be finished on another day and now instead of a nice shine, a milky film covers part of the side.



And an observation. Not many boats have come past today. Maybe the rest also decided to stay where they were because of those non-existant thunderstorms!πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

And wildlife,








Goldcrest

No comments:

Blog Archive