About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 9 September 2019

Returning early.

It WAS noisy last night. The trains were not too bad but the motorway on the other hand. The cars and lorries crossing the bridge made a 'clunk clunk' noise every time their wheels went over something on the road. It was almost as bad as listening to a ticking clock, I can't bear the sound of that when I'm trying to sleep, almost like Chinese water torture! All our clocks in the bedroom (and the Beast) had been changed to silent sweep mechanisms because of my hate of the ticking.

We have made our minds up to return to FS.  Unfortunately, going for a walk this morning a roque shower drenched the inside of the Beast. We left the Houdini open for ventilation not expecting any rain at all! So with us drenched as well as the seats (which also acts as our bed) neither of us relished the idea of sleeping on a wet mattress! Anyway, before we headed home we called in to see Ian's best man Chris and wife Sue. They live very near to Carlise and from the overnight stop at the pub carpark, about a 40-minute drive to their house.

On the way, we came across this,

Was it a runaway?? It wasn't until it got level with the Beast that we noticed the driver.

Time flies when one is nattering to old friends and before we knew it, it was well after 3 pm. With a three hour drive in front of us, at first, the roads were clear but then dismay followed when all the cars and lorries came to a stop on the A66 heading toward Scotch Corner. And adding injury to insult as we got further South so the rain started. Both Ian and I tried to remember if in all the three weeks in Scotland whether we had a whole day without rain. Only three came to mind and that was the day we drove to Gairloch, the Gondola at Nevis Range and yesterday.

A further 30 minutes were added to the journey home because of the holdup and I was very glad when we eventually pulled into the triangle car park at Langley Mill by 18.30.

Now, all we need is to try and dry the seats, clear the Beast of foodstuff, clothes, shoes, clean the fridge, empty the loo and take the motorhome back to the storage yard. Blast this rain though. How am I going to get the washing dry? Not going to worry about that tonight, much too tired and a glass of wine beckons for the both of us.

Next adventure starts on Saturday. This time on FS as we head off to the Anglo-Welsh yard at Bunbury to meet up with friends who are taking Merlin on the 27th.


Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Bugger!!! We have been at Sawley since Friday and came past the bottom of the Erewash this morning - if I'd known you were back, we could have met up, dammit!

Now we are at Zouch and about to go for a walk into Sutton Donington.

Bad news about the hatch - we never leave them more than a couple of inches open in the CROW if we are leaving it - too concerned about the effect of wind, let alone rain!

Big hugs, M&Dxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

My sentiment to Marilyn! Never mind only 3 months to go before we leave for NZ and we will definitely be seeing you then. Xxx

Blog Archive