About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 1 November 2018

When one needs to improvise.

Today started well enough but rapidly turned into one neither of us wanted to repeat. We had been told to be at Teddington lock by 7.30.am. Five minutes after seven and our cruising buddy turns up and sailed right past. Not concerned expecting to see them on the lock landing, we finish breakfast and then headed toward the lock. Where was our narrowboat buddy? Already locked down so we were to be on our own after all. But then a large cruiser joined us, couldn't rely on him to be our companion as he was heading for Chelsea. (plus he went twice as fast as us)





The cruise down to Brentford was really enjoyable even though the rain started halfway along. It only took a tad over an hour to reach the Grand Union as the tide turned halfway and we zoomed along at 6mph. In the distance we spied that narrowboat and by the time we turned into Brentford, had caught them up.

Richmond lock

Turning towards the Thames lock

Waiting for the lock keeper (we arrived earlier than we had stated.)
Gosh, what a wake up call after being on the Thames. Back onto the Grand Union and most noticeable was all the rubbish and, no sooner had I left Thames lock, then a large mass of Pennywort got stuck on FS's bow nearly bringing her to a stop. Had to reverse off and then head toward the bank just to get past it.

Pennywort across the canal


 Up Hanwell flight in the dry but by the time we got half way up, the heavens opened and we were drenched. It was here that all the troubles started.

First, we found that crew on that other narrowboat kept leaving paddles up. (we had stopped on the facilities so they went on without us.) The pounds were being drained due to lock leakage but the worst part was before the last lock. Ian went to set the lock and came back to inform me that we had all but run out of water.

Hanwell flight lock 2 and all the paddles left up.

Every paddle at the top was left open
Even the bottom paddle hadn't been closed properly. Ian discovered this after the lock wouldn't equalise.

Low pound

Removing rubbish so the gate would open.
  Luckily being one lock away from the top, Ian could run water down. I made the mistake of trying to get out of the lock to keep in the middle. Big, big mistake as a quarter of the way toward the last lock and FS stopped. The trees to the port side and the bow swinging toward those branches got me into a panic. FS's paintwork!!!! I abandoned the helm, raced to the bow, opened the cratch, stepped onto the gunnel and grabbed the pole. Pushing with all my might all I encountered was mud but it worked as the bow swung back. The pole very nearly didn't come out! I had visions of one of those gondola moments with the gondolier hanging onto the pole watching the boat disappear. Anyway, eventually, enough water run down so I could enter the lock. My sigh of relief was short lived when Ian said a Sari was attached to the prop. Oh, eck, dare not put the boat in reverse so managed to get the centre rope to Ian who managed to stop FS before hitting the top gate. A slow ascent and Ian with the boat hook managed to get enough of the Sari off so I could get FS onto the facilities. While we watered up Ian went down the weed hatch to remove the rest.

I couldn't even get off the boat as this was as high as the water reached in the lock

Not much water in this pound.



Sari



 By now the rain was getting even heavier so we pulled up to moor. Mooring pins were needed and I passed both to Ian. "Don't forget the mallet" he said. "Where did you leave it?," said I. A note of exasperation crept into his voice "It's where I always leave it," says he. Oh no it's not," says I. Then it dawned on him. He had left it back at Kingston on the ground and forgotten to pick it up. "Improvise," said I passing him the windlass.


We only stayed to get warm and change to dry outer clothing and as soon as the rain stopped, onwards again towards Bulls Bridge. That blooming weather wasnt going to let up though with rain starting once more. So we decided to call it a night. Could we find a mooring? Plenty of space but not enough water below the hull to let FS get near the bank. In the end, and with the light fading we found a place about half a mile from the Tesco moorings. It's not ideal as a road is beside us and right next to a pub. I just hope this is a safe place to stop otherwise we may well be in for a restless night.

And seen on route,









6 comments:

Richard said...

Presume your narrowboat buddies are no longer buddies!! Idjjiots!!

Richard
NB Pendle Warter

Jennie said...

Gosh what a day, Irene. Knowing that 2 NB's were due to go through Teddington, I am surprised the lock keeper let that one through on their own. Also if we had been them we would have waited whilst you dealt with services - two boats is so much easier than one.Here's to a better tomorrow. I have to say that that end of the GU is not our favourite.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Richard, We haven't seen them since they passed us at the facilities. If we do catch them up words will be said.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Jennie, We did ask the lock keeper why he had let them out but he just shrugged his shoulders and said it was the boaters prerogative. As for waiting, I suppose we could have asked them to wait but as we didn't it was our fault I suppose. Xx

Pip and Mick said...

On the southern GU it seems commonplace to leave gates open and paddles up. I wish it wasn't!
Shame about the Hanwell Flight. My interest in canals started on that flight. My Mum & Dad used to take me there as a small boy in the early 1960s (we lived nearby). We used to watch working boats being towed by small diesel tractors on the towpath. Great fun. We were once offered a trip down to Brentford on a boat but my Dad said no, we had to get home or something. I don't think I ever forgave him! We've since done that trip on both Lillyanne and Oleanna.
My memory is that the pounds were low even back in the 60s so not much changes!

Mick NB Oleanna.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Mick, I've never heard of that practice on the GU before, maybe one for me to research. The trouble with doing that though is the leakage through the bottom gates. That's why the pounds were so low. All the gates were shut and why every paddle raised instead of only one? I like to think they forgot but personally I think it was sheer laziness.

Blog Archive