About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 3 November 2018

A bugbear of mine.

Why oh why do the widebeams and breasted pairs on this part of the GU think it okay to leave gates open? This is one of my biggest bugbears and another? Not picking up after ones dogs. Widewater lock and the first lock of many to do today and both bottom gates open. Okay, at least the lock was with us so a bit of a bonus I suppose. Late last night and headlight blazing a lady steering a widebeam came past so we blamed her. This was more than obvious to us when the next three locks also had bottom gates open.

After Copper Mill lock a breasted pair seen in the distance heading our way. Blow me down if the next lock, Springwell, had wide open gates again!
 

 And then before Casio Bridge lock another widebeam coming towards us and yep, you've guessed it, those gates were left open too.


Why don't they close them.  Is it bloodymindedness and sheer laziness because I cant see it being anything else? I admit in the days gone by with the working boats this was common practise but these days lack of maintenance means leaky gates and consequently drained pounds. Closing all gates help to stop this.  It was only when we met another narrowboat waiting to descend at Iron Bridge lock that all the remaining three locks today had the gates closed. This chap was spitting wasps as he had to close those heavy bottom gates on his own nearly all day before filling the lock for his descent. Do I apologise for this rant? I feel very strongly about it although of course, it did mean we had every lock with us. But imagine if it had been you having to do 12 locks, wanting to descend but had to close all those gates first just to get the locks filled. I expect most would feel really P'd off as I would have done if it had been me.  So I'm appealing to all boaters and not just widebeams, please, please close gates!!!

Serious stuff over we did see some funny and weird sights on the way,




















And seen on route,

 











9 comments:

Barbara said...

I’m with you on this one! We came down the Audlem flight last winter I know they aren’t double gates but I had to close all the bottom gates before we could fill the lock someone told me it was a single hander going down I’m just glad I never caught up with them I was so annoyed.

Pip and Mick said...

I'm also with you on this one. We've found it starts to get better once you get to round about Tring. They are all lazy b*****s down in the south.

Mick

Anonymous said...

I think it is because so many people living on boats now, especially wide beams, are not really ‘boaters’. They’ve never learnt the rules of the road and the etiquette. We moored on the lower grand union for a number of years and it certainly wasn’t the ‘local custom’ then to leave gates open
Kath (nb Herbie)

Tom and Jan said...

We experienced the same situation with the lock gates on the lower GU and when we ask "Why?" from a local boater were informed "London Rules!" Which is (of course) nonsense. Leaving one set of gates open either means half or double the work for the next boat. And as you point out, does nothing to help save water.

Carol said...

We've experienced that too Irene on the GU and it is most annoying! On the plus side you appear to have got a hold now on the new camera, especially the one of the little grebe with the fish.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you to you all for agreeing with me. I did expect negative comments from some boaters but it seems they are too ashamed to say anything being the ones at fault.

nb Bonjour said...

A few years ago on our first visit to London we shared with a local boater in the locks round King's Cross. I got told off when I went to close up. 'That's how it's done round here' he said. Well it shouldn't be!
Debby

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Quite right Debbie, It shouldn't.

Jennie said...

We are two others in complete agreement, Irene. We had the same problem on the lower GU last year - for us, however, they were all against us. As we only ever use one gate it was truly annoying and caused a lot of extra work. When we left the Erewash this summer we shared the last few locks with a boat who moors in Sawley Marina. I had gone ahead to get the next lock ready and they left the gates open behind them as they left the previous lock. I asked why and they just shrugged and said it was 'just what they did!'. We were not amused and made sure they went ahead at the next couple of locks, so we could ensure the gates were shut! I got the feeling that they probably only venture out a couple of times a year which is probably just as well. Jennie

Blog Archive