About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 8 October 2018

Could this be the most ridiculous excuse ever heard!

I have never seen a sunset like it. The sky was red...almost blood red, not the pink this photo is showing. And to the naked eye, no yellow was seen but the photo shows yellow so if anyone can enlighten me to why camera does this, I would be interested to know.



We had a bit of a mishap this morning. Both of us decided on just toast for breakfast and as our grill needs lighting the day before just to get any colour and crispness to the bread, Ian decided to fire the engine up so he could do the toast in the electric toaster. So imagine this...Bread goes in, lever down and then a smell...a really really horrible smell! He whips the lever up quickly and finds to his horror the toaster had ingested his bus pass! How it had fallen in the toaster was a mystery until he suddenly realised his wallet had lain on top for a while and the bus pass must have dropped out of the wallet.

 
Went shopping to the Londis the only food store in Lechlade. My goodness, this store was not cheap but as this was the only grocery store around, there was not much we could do. Bringing our expensive items back to FS, I noticed swimmers in the water. "Rather them than me", I thought, "Water must be freezing". 4 out of the 5 were wearing wetsuits but one seemed more hardier than the others choosing to swim in just a cossie instead. They swam to St Johns Lock and then back toward us. A lady on the bank was keeping her eye on them and as she passed by I asked the question if this was for charity. "No", she replies. "These are open water swimmers who normally swim in the lakes and rivers of the Cotswolds". She goes on to tell me that the lady without the wetsuit (Sally) was one of the 6 relay swimmers that crossed the channel from England to France in 2016. Each swimmer did an hour each so her swim was the 6th and the 12th etc. I was mightily impressed by their stamina and lack of fear. This would not do for me as, although a good swimmer, the fear of not knowing what is lurking below makes me hyperventilate!





That's Sally
This afternoon we walked to the Roundhouse. This is actually the furthest point of navigation by any boats other than canoes, rowing boats etc. I thought I knew of every canal in the UK but I had never heard of the Thames and Severn canal. 28 miles in length it starts at Inglesham Lock near Lechlade and connects to the Stroudwater Navigation at Wallbridge near Stroud and from there to the River Severn. A notice board told all about it and how the Cotswold Trust had hoped to start the restoration. There didn't look to be much progress as far as I could see at this end but reading the IWA website it appears work has been started. To read about it click here

Roundhouse
 On our return, Ian phoned the Derbyshire County Council about ordering his new bus pass. Well, you should have heard the hilarity and disbelieve from the lady who took the call. I'm sure this must be one of the most original and ridiculous excuses to date! I can't imagine how she would tell her fellow colleques. Probably thought there was a crackpot at the end of the phone! Anyway a fee of £5 for the replacement and a new one in the post to arrive in 5 days at our daughter's.

We are still all alone on the meadow, another first for us.


And seen from this mooring,












4 comments:

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

You can also see my free maps of the Cotswold Canals, including the Thames & Severn Canal at https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/maps-cotswolds.html.

There are free maps for many restoration projects at https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/maps-free.html in case you have missed any others too.

I've just missed saying hello to you a few times so maybe I'll catch up with you sometime soon.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks for the information, Paul. I'm sure our paths will cross eventually and look forward to that day too.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I didn't toast my bus pass, but it slipped out of my pocket on the bus.
I stopped it on it's return journey to ask the driver if I could look for it.
Can you see it he said, yes, it had landed backside up and looked like rubbish under a seat.
You were luck he said!
Beautiful action photos there Irene, I very much enjoy all these.
Ann m

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Ann. Gosh, you were lucky especially as the return bus was with the same driver. Glad you found it okay. Xx

Blog Archive