About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 11 August 2015

Dramas galore.

 Well not quite but we did have an interesting morning. First we were on the P again. Even after all the rain yesterday the river levels seemed to have dropped. Must be the EA controlling the weirs causing the problems. The boat in front managed to get away okay and, at first, we thought we would too. Back end came out, as well as the front but then... nop... not going anywhere. Must have been a ledge we were stuck on and even though Ian pushed as hard as he could we just weren't moving. Into reverse.... no good.... into forward and with Ian given one more almighty shove slowly but surely we slid off.

At Culham lock we were informed a tree was being felled on the approach to Clifton lock. 'You may experience a delay' says he. Bit of an understatement as it turned out. So when we gets there no sign of tree down and no sign of other boats. We were though, buzzed by a guy in a powered paraglider! Came that low he almost came in for tea!!!

Then we saw a boat, right across the river cutting and a man frantically giving us the stop sign.

  Thats when we noticed the other boats moored to anything they could get their ropes round. The lead boat was to deep drafted to get into the side so he luckily managed to breast up with one of the boats already secured. We hovered for a bit and managed to get into the bank after a cruiser got to impatient to wait and left.

Cruiser left soon after this photo
 Having managed to tie to a tree I could then get off to see what was going on. These are only a few of the photos I took. Loads more on this link if you fancy a look.

Looking back from the lock

All waiting for the all clear. We are 4th boat back.
Loads of boaters gold. Shame it's a tad early to start collecting.

After a 2 hour wait boats finally appeared from around the bend. They had had it easy being held in the lock until the coast was clear. Finally we were set to go. Chaos rained for a while as lock keepers tried to sort everyone out and they even had to forgo lunch in case there were fisticuffs about who was going to be first!

With such a long delay we found the first suitable spot to stop after Clifton lock. Now moored on a meadow amongst the goose poo. Sign of cow activity (loads of cowpats) but so far they haven't turned up. We may have a rude awaking tonight if they do!!!

No wildlife photos but just another idiotic boater.

Steering with his foot!!!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive