About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 8 August 2014

We ain't going nowhere!

It's probably a good job Ian complained that his ankle was giving him some gyp this morning as we had planned to set off and try to get to the summit. Instead I suggested that a few days rest might be beneficial. So it was sort of decided that we would stay on this mooring until Monday. Christine is due to collect Echo, Stick Insects and the Sunflower on Sunday and there is a road with good parking nearby. Now I must just mention the saga of the Sunflower. Josh (5 tomorrow) was given the Sunflower by his teacher at school before he left for his hols. His parting words were 'you will look after it wont you Nanny'. I was a bit concerned that it looked a bit pale (leaves were turning a bit yellow) but I promised to look after it.

 Every day I watched this flower, tied it to our coat scuttle so it wouldn't fall over whilst we traveled, watered it when I thought it needed it and even gave it a liquid feed but slowly the leaves started wilting and then withering from the bottom. How was I going to explain  to Josh that I had killed his plant!

What a sorry sight.
 Now yesterday I was told of a garden center further along the canal so, with us now staying, I donned my walking boots and raincoat (heavy rain was forecast) and set off to do the mile up past lock 31. As I got up to the next lock this greeted me,



 The top gates were leaking badly and the bottom gates, although closed, had a big gap at the bottom so any water in the lock just flowed straight out. After taking the photos I continued up the flight and eventually found the garden center. I did manage to purchase a Sunflower but only the dwarf kind. I'm hoping Josh wont realise it isn't the same plant because it looks totally different, rather bushy and in full bloom. I'm going to say I changed its pot and fed it with 'some nice flower food' and 'look how it has grown'. Ummmm.... Not sure if my nose will start to grow.


Once back I had a word with Paul and Lindsay about the problem with the low pound. They wanted to leave tomorrow so Paul walked up to have a look. He confirmed what I had already thought, that by filling the pound tonight it would be a pointless exercise. Instead it was decided to phone C&RT  and for them to come first thing in the morning and sort the levels out. Now we wait and hope the message has got through! In the likely hood that this will happen again, we think it's best that we join them tomorrow and get above this problematic pound.

Took these photos by lock 30 & 31. Cant believe how beautiful it is as we get nearer to the summit. Shame about the water situation, although at the moment the lightening is flashing, thunder is rolling around the boat and it is lashing it down!.



What a contrast to this mornings photos.




No comments:

Blog Archive