About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 4 August 2014

Amazing what a support will do.

Not the best of sleep to be had by either of us last night. Ian had a throbbing ankle and I had a throbbing finger. When we did manage to get some sleep Sainsburys delivery wagons started turning up from 3am onwards with a lot of crashing and banging. By 8am I had walked to Sainsbury to see if I could get an ankle support for Ian. We had debated whether to give A&E a visit in Huddersfield (a taxi would have been needed and I was worried about leaving the dogs) because, at one stage during the night, Ian woke in agony and was unable to put any weight on that foot. It was also turning a nasty shade of purple/ black as the bruise started to come out. But we thought we would try a support first and although I had no luck at Sainsbury, I did find a boots and purchased a 'one size fits all' ankle support specially for sprains. Cost £15 but well worth the money 'cause as soon as Ian put the thing on it helped no end.



Sainsbury moorings in Brighouse

Celtic Eagle turned up this morning and moored for a shopping trip. We were to see them several more times today.
We left late morning in glorious sunshine and I must say today has been trauma free. The locks were still challenging because of the lack of space and the leakage through the top gates, and with me doing all of them found I ran out of energy after about the fifth lock. First time I have used the Hebble Spike and I must say I'm quite a big fan. Something quite pleasent in giving the spike a good tug!


I look a bit red faced here. It was very hot and I was beginning to wilt.

There are huge planks across the gates. Mainly because you stand on them to lift the paddle gear. With this in mind you need to be vigilant and watch your tiller as you ascend. You can see by the water line there is no room for errors.
All along this section of the Calder & Hebble are these signs. Brilliant idea if only they were not ignored. Not a single cyclist took any notice, kept ringing their bell and not slowing down. Makes you wonder if they are on a different planet to us!

By the time we reached Salterhebble bottom lock I was knackered. That lock was round a left hand bend through a short tunnel. Ian then pointed out that it was a guillotine lock. Now a few days ago in Huddersfield I really struggled with opening that guillotine lock so the thought of doing this one made me groan. Ian walked hobbled through the horse tunnel to see what it was like. He came back pleased as punch and said it was electrically operated and all that was needed was a BW key. So he did the lock while I took the boat.

Horse tunnel with FS at the end.

Bringing FS through the  bridge 'ole


Gate on it's way down


With visitor moorings between this lock and the next we decided to call it a day. Well Ian did anyway as I was roped in by a family of novice boaters who had never done a lock before. They were borrowing a friends boat for their hols and had just 1 lesson yesterday! So I showed them the ropes, had to take over to get the chap out of trouble when he steered into a C&RT pan, told them about water flow in locks and how fierce some can be and gave them a lesson in using the Hebble Spike.
They went and did the next lock themselves and did a very good job. So happy holiday guys, will probably see you on your way back.
 

First mooring between locks
 I say first mooring because when FS started to tilt we knew it was a bad mistake to moor in a short pound. So at 6pm we pulled pins, went up the next two locks, did a sharp left turn and moored by the sewage works! It was the only available moorings and we didnt feel like doing another mile or two at that time of night. Pong isn't to bad as the wind is blowing the smell away from us.


Out of the lock and a sharp left turn.


Tonight's mooring, Ian reversing between boats.
Not sure of our plans for tomorrow. I know Roger and Pat (The cat's whiskers) are not far behind so may wait for them to catch up.

No comments:

Blog Archive