About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Day 8 Pulled muscle and broken key.

What a glorious morning full of birdsong and bleating lambs. Leaving at our usual silly time in the morning it was Ian's turn to struggle against the glare of the reflecting sun on the water. The wind was also a bit of a B. Strengthening during the day we found we had to put the power on to get through the lift bridges. We didn't fancy trying to fit through sideways.



I'm getting ahead of myself because before the breeze really picked up, we traveled towards Prior Hardwick and noticed these anti HS2 boards on most of the bridges. I cant say I blame the anger the locals have about the high speed train coming through here. We were meandering through some of the most rural and lovely countryside around these parts and for it to be spoilt for the 'train that will benefit the few' in my mind is criminal.





 I mean...... I ask you. How could you see all this tranquility disappear because of a short sighted government.






At Fenny Compton the usual wall to wall boats meant we crept along for what seemed like ages and with the water point  also in use,  we continued without stopping. This Basset Hound puppy belonged to the family using the facilities and he was quite oblivious to his owner calling it's name.  I think I would have ignored him too if I had been called Leningrad!
16 weeks old. How cute is he.
 Our journey took us along the route where the Fenny Compton Tunnel used to be. I took this excert from the Engineering Timelines.
 Fenny Compton Tunnel was 2.75m wide, 3.66m high and ran for a little over a kilometer. It wasn't very deep underground and had a number of wider sections to allow canal boats to pass each other. These were 4.87m wide. It also had rings mounted in the walls to help boatmen haul their craft through. The canal now runs through a deep cutting and there is little evidence of the tunnel to be seen.




The first of the locks today was at Claydon. It was on this flight that I somehow pulled a muscle.   The paddle gear had all been greased but it made no difference to how stiff they were and with me trying to wind the paddle up I felt a searing pain go right down the back of my right arm. Ian had to take over as I was left in agony. We also noticed who ever greased them were a bit over zealous with the amount of gumph used because it was all over the rachet pawl. This meant a small stick had to be used to lift and replace it.


Covered in grease.
On the approach to Elkinton lock another sunken boat was in evidence. It's name? Hesperus. Reminded me of Wadsworth Longfellow poem the Wreck of the Hesperus.

Hesperus lying on the bottom

On arrival at Croperdy the canoeist were out in full force. In my haste to get to the front to take a photo my coat caught on the front door key and snapped it clean in two.

Canoeist waiting for us to pass

Now on Lady Theresa the only way to lock the boat was at the front (the rear hatch having bolts across the inside). If the spare was also lost then the boat could no longer be secured. With this in mind we decided on a quick stop at Bunbury to have another key cut. With us now £6 poorer but holding a replacement key we left an almost deserted Bunbury to find a rural mooring by Kings Sutton Lock.

Total mileage 21.45, Locks 16 and hours traveled 10.

Haynes lift bridge with Foxes lift bridge in the distance.

Flooding still evident.
And a few more wildlife photos.








No comments:

Blog Archive