About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 23 March 2014

Day 5 Wednesday. Back down Lapworth flight.

Another 6.30 start. The run to Kingswood junction took about 1.5 hours Back through the guillotine lock and then the long stretch of the North Stratford toward the lift bridges and Lapworth locks.



 Ian always finds the North Stratford very long and tedious having nothing much to look at other then wooded areas. For me sitting at the front I loved every part of it. The amount of wildlife was ever present and I took loads of photos ( as I do).




Jay


Pied woodpecker

Lucky snap.as we sailed past. Just saw this Kingfisher fly onto the branch
  Eventually arrived at the top of Lapworth flight and for once nearly all the locks were with us. We met a working pair between lock 7 & 8 the butty being brought up first followed by the motor. Trying to squeeze by each other in the short pound was interesting to say the least.

Butty being bow hauled out. Should have used the horse looking over the fence.

And the motor.
 We had a really good run down only meeting one other boat and 2 hours later turned right at the junction. Stopped before Shrewley tunnel for the night on a lovely open embankment where we had two very interesting neighbours to keep us company. Time was only 3.30pm. so very early for us but didn't fancy going through a very wet tunnel that night.  Still no TV so after our meal and a glass of wine departed for bed.
Total miles 19.4, locks 20, time 9 hours



Who would have thought that Jade was so unwell 2 months ago!

Our neighbours

All alone. Very unusual not to have a mate yet. She stayed opposite our boat and was still there in the morning.


3 comments:

KevinTOO said...

I share your love of the North Stratford.
Friends used to have a boat moored at Swallow Cruisers many years ago which I had the use of on occasion, happy days :)
There are only two things I don't like about that canal,
1) The Shirley Drawbridge where I took a dip in the cut and
2) the awful graffiti on the guillotine lock & bridge brickwork (it's enough to make me scream)
Enjoying reading your reports, wish I was there... LOL

p.s.
WOW what amazing photos of Jade, oh and the wildlife :)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Kevin,

I agree with you about the graffiti it's a real eyesore. You have also got me intrigued on how you managed to fall in by the drawbridge. Do tell (:

I was amazed how sprightly Jade was. Especially as we had forgotten to bring her Metacam (pain killer) with us. Long may her recovery continue.
Xxx

Anonymous said...

You should put the horse photo up for a caption competition. :-)

"Hmm, I wonder whether my union knows about this."

"Blooming humans. Come over here taking our jobs."

Blog Archive