About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday, 29 August 2015

Third time lucky and piles of boat contents on the towpath

Didn't intend to go far so a latish start. Had a boat go past so we tagged on behind to share the locks. Glad we had someone to help as top gates had been left open at every lock. Both gates not just the one and the only boat going past early this morning was a narrowboat. Signs are on gates asking for both gates to be closed and paddles dropped to conserve water so why cant people just do that.

Copper Mill lock. New houses being costing above £600,000. And mainly 3 bed town houses!!! Bit to pricey for us to buy in this area.

As we only wanted to go as far as Tesco about 4 locks ahead and a couple of miles we waved farewell to our locking companions at Rickmansworth and found a mooring before Mill End bridge. Bit of a walk but in the past we have never been able to get onto the Tesco moorings. This time we would have been lucky but never mind, the walk did us good and we noted a mooring opposite that would do for tonight. So shopping stowed and pins pulled we slid into that mooring. Hmmm, we wondered why this long open stretch was free. On the towpath two piles of boat contents without any sign of the boat. Most strange we thought and Ian wondered if it was because a boat inspection was due and the boater had taken the boat elsewhere. We had already tied FS but I wasn't happy about staying, especially as a generator was also in evidence. Still find it a bit worrying that all this was left in plain view for anyone to steal. Hope the boat hasn't been nicked and all the owners belongings dumped on the side. Doubt if I will ever know, though.

Moored here before moving further on.

 So we moved again after judging that we could fit in between two boats further along. I then went for a walk around Rickmansworth Aquadrome Nothing very much in the way of wildlife but got some great shots of a water skier.

When I returned Ian was about pulling what little hair he had out! No TV signal no matter in which direction he pointed the aerial. Wanted to see the athletics so I suggested yet another move!. Had to go up Bratchworth lock and almost blocking the lock, a blooming great dutch barge on the facilities. Only just managed to squeeze by but even so, nudged his front. No hope for a wide beam if they happened along.

Finally and the third stop of the day, we stopped before Lots mead lock. Telly now tuned and both of us happy bunnies. I'm going fishing while Ian watches telly. Actually telly is just his excuse for a snooze. No sooner does his bottom hit the chair he's asleep. Maybe I'm working him to hard, me thinks.Widely Grinning

Some OTT sights although what a great pram top this car makes.
 And the wildlife.

No comments:

Blog Archive