Leaving this morning the conditions didn't seem to bad. Yes the wind it did blow but not so much seeming to be calmer then last night. Little did we know that worse was to come. As the day progress the wind got stronger! Getting onto the lock landings became a real challenge especially as all but one lock (Buscat) was self service. Trying to land Ian and tie up was difficult enough but when we saw the lock with us and gates open at Rushey lock we thanked our lucky stars and sailed straight in.... but then Ian had to get off! A clamber onto the cabin top followed by a leap of faith was the only way.
Radcot lock was also in our favour and we had all but arrived at the landing when we suddenly the gates started moving.Two lads in trainers and shorts who I thought were joggers, closing them! It became a matter of sounding horn and frantically waving arms as the wind took me towards the lock wall. Turned out they were canoeist and said they hadn't consciously registered that we were there. Still they did the lock for us and for that we were grateful.
|The two standing with life jackets on where NOT lock keeper but EA inspectors!|
|Landing stage with no exit. Note the briars ready to make a grab for ones legs!|
|And looking back through the bridge 'ole|
Now what was I saying about them beasts being at the far side of the meadow? Next few photos says it all!
|Ian changing ropes. Don't want them beasties eating the good rope.|
Now awaiting a visit from the farmer. Mooring fee of £4 is mentioned in our Thames guide but I might just ask him who I send the bill to if his beasts damage the boat!! I expect an answer of 'You dont have to moor here so clear off'!. Hmmmm.......... maybe I wont bother.
And on route.