About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 12 May 2015

Plenty to see and do and another blogger moment

I'll be glad when this wind drops. FS rocked and rolled all throughout the night but all for the wrong reasons! At one point I thought we were being boarded as she listed to one side. It was a particularly strong gust of wind that did it and I fully expected to hear the sound of breaking crockery. Having got back to sleep, finally, suddenly we woke with a start as the dock sounds sprang into life A good job too considering we had planned heaps of things to do for the day. First though we wanted to go and make ourselves known to Kevin and Vicky on tug Harry. Unbeknown to us and only through a comment left from Adam did we realise who they were.

Spending a pleasant 10 minutes or so nattering about the journey to the dock, we left to explore this fine city. First stop the Cathedral. No pictures of the interior other then in the Crypt. I felt the £3 fee a bit steep just so I could take a piccy or two.



Crypt

 Waterways museum was next.





Cant we reinstate this law for cyclists!!!!




A bucket dredger still used today for demonstration.


And the beast that powers it.

With 2 Wetherspoons  in Gloucester we were spoilt for choice. In the end we chose the Regal with it's movie theme. It was King Kong lording over the unsuspecting public. Steak was today's special at £7.45 so a Sirloin for me and Gammon for Ian.


On the way back to FS Ian happened to spot a Ladies and Gents hairdresser. Everything was priced at £9.99 whether you have just a cut or a cut, wash and blow dry or even a full colour. My hair was starting to get annoying so I popped in for a trim. Went a bit shorter then normal but, not knowing where the next reasonably priced hairdresser would be, I though it worth it. Then leaving Ian to walk to Maplins (2miles away) I headed off for the nature reserve. Following the line of the river I came upon an old lock.






The lock with cottage next to it now owned privately.

It was a fabulous nature reserve with plenty of bugs to keep me happy.  I will put the photos on my wildlife blog at a later date.  Just put these few pictures on for now







Coming over the lock on my return a hire boat had started the ascent. It's only when you view it from this angle do you realise how huge it is.


Looking for somewhere to moor he decided to come next to us rather then use the 6 or 7 free pontoons all in a row! Consequently the inevitable happened as he backed in. The wind grabbed the boat exactly as it had us and Ian had to rapidly fend him off. Anyway he got in and then we discovered that the boat was now blocking the TV signal on the Omni aerial!!! So now the aerial is up high on the pole 'cause I cant miss my Holby City. Oh and what of the Gull I hear you ask. No sign of it this morning so the firemen were true to their word.


No comments:

Blog Archive