About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 7 May 2015

7 tiny lives saved

We did move after lunch yesterday. Two things made us decide, the weather had improved and the boat next to us had his stern continually banging into FS's hull. I suppose we should have asked him to tighten his lines but didn't want the hassle. Sods law,  no sooner had we set off then the heavens opened but, by and large, most of the afternoon stayed dry although still windy. Then another first for me. A Cuckoo flew directly in front of the boat and landed in a tree. At first I was unsure as to what this brown dull looking bird was until it opened it's beak and let out the unmistakable sound. No photos 'cause it was all to quick but at least it's another bird I can tick off my list.

Leaving Netherwich Basin
The school kids arrived about an hour before we set off in the canoes again all screaming and shouting orders to one another and paddling for all their worth. Thankfully we happened upon the empty canoes by their school. Glad they were no longer in them 'cause the Barge canal is full of hidden twists and turns. Could have been a nasty accident if we suddenly came upon them in a bridge 'ole.

Setting off in the rain

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Mistletoe only supposed to grow on Apple trees? All along the Barge canal the trees were full of them. One could make a fortune over the Christmas period harvesting this lot!

After a couple of hours of cruising and with every lock with us for a change, we arrived at the moorings above lock 2. There is a sign with arrows pointing east to west but no placard to say for how long one can stay. For all we knew the moorings were to be used only if the river was on red boards. Still we decided to risk a telling off (sorry guv were strangers here) and moor . Leaving Ian to try and sort out the TV aerial, I went fishing. It was at this point I heard the frantic calls of a duck. I had seen her earlier with 11 ducklings but now she appeared to have only 4.

I sort of guessed what had happened. Some of the ducklings had gone over the bywash. Grabbing the fishing net and camera (never go anywhere without it) I glanced over the bywash and 7 ducklings were frantically calling to mum.  Nothing for it but scoop them up in one go.


Trying to get a TV signal

Moorings last night.
So this morning we set of for Worcester. River levels normal even after all that rain and within 2.5 hours and one lock made it to Diglis Basin. Onto the facilities to empty the loos and water up and then moor on a near empty 48hours ringed stretch. And of course a few more photos of our journey down the river today.

Approaching Worcester

Diglis Basin locks are on the left. It's a sharp turn heading downstream so best to wind further down and come back to it.

Pontoon landing stage for the locks

And looking at the lock as we sailed past.

View from the first lock off the river

2nd of the two broad locks into the basin and the start of the Worc and Birmingham canal


nb Chuffed said...

Round our way (Devon) mistletoe also grows on lime and poplar trees. Apparently it grows on other species too such as hawthorn. Well done on the duckling rescue!

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Debbie. I'm now that bit wiser. Xx

Anonymous said...

I saw it a lot last year in Germany and they certainly weren't apple trees!
Lovely story about the ducklings.

Anonymous said...

I though the same as you Irene but around here it seems to grow on anything and everything!! In Windsor Great Park it even grows on huge beech trees.
Kath (nb Herbie)

Blog Archive