About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 31 August 2024

On our way at last.

Aug 30th

I have come to the conclusion that I am too trusting. Ian and I went over to secure the cruiser yesterday and managed to grab the bow rope. As we heaved trying to get that cruiser into the side, all that did was make the stern drift deeper into the channel. Gosh, Ian nearly took a dive when he climbed onto the bow and started to walk along the side to grab the stern rope. The cruiser tipped, Ian scrambled back pretty quick, but this meant other means had to be tried. As he walked back to FS for the boat hook, a lad cycled past wearing dark gear and balaclava, stopped and asked what had happened. All I said was we were not sure, but it had to be pulled back as it was blocking the lock. So this lad grabbed the bow rope, climbed onto the roof and threw the stern rope toward me, jumped off and pulled the boat back in. I thanked him, he was very pleasant and said "your welcome". Then he rode off, only to stop on the bridge by the lock. Ian arrived back at that moment, said that was one of the lads that had smashed the windows. OMG, how gullible was I. And here was I thinking some lads are not too bad. Anyway, no sooner had we got back on FS when he, plus two others came back, untied the rope again, jumped on the roof and proceeded to try and turn the boat over. I managed to discreetly get a photo, I was slightly reluctant to post the photo, but the chances of these lads actually reading this is slim.  Unfortunately, they spoilt our time here, so much so that a decision to leave very early the next morning was promptly made.

Go on...fall in!
 

Friday 8am and I couldn't believe it when our friend Jenn text about the Erewash being closed. Lack of water was the issue again, an email on CRT website had been seen earlier. It was between Pasture Lock and Gallows Inn and, seeing as we were on the right side of the closure, didn't think this applied to us. We had plenty of water but to be on the safe side, phoned a friend by Dockholme lock and one the other side to Long Eaton Lock to check. With a green light from both, we left at about 9.30am.

It's not often we travel along the canal at this time of year, there were a few very overgrown bushes to skew around and dredging wouldn't go amiss in places, but the journey to Trent lock was pleasant enough. Ian did have to go down the weed hatch at Dockholme, unsurprising it was mainly blanket weed that was the problem. While he was doing the biz, I grabbed the windlass to fill the lock. Gosh, I can't remember when I last did a lock. Winding the paddles up made me realise just how out of condition I was, and even opening the gates took all my strength. No wonder I leave it all up to Ian!

Ian grabbed the opportunity to take FS in, I thought he may get off and pass the helm to me, but no, he stayed on and watched me struggle! Typical!

At Trent lock facilities, much needed water was taken on. Having been away from Langley Mill for 10 days, our three cassettes were emptied too. Luckily, by having the car with us, we could take the cassette back to the mill to empty when necessary, but the last 5 days were spent trying not to drink too much!

Took over an hour to take on water, we were lower than we thought! It was the lack of showers, stand up wash only, and washing machine only on once that helped. 

The river was like a mill pond, hardly any flow, it was a joy to be back on deep water. Slightly baffled why a boat continued toward us on the wrong side and only moved over at the last minute. Ian, helming, was all for playing chicken, after all we were where we should be! I looked back to notice he immediately pulled back to continue on that side. I'm wondering if he wanted to be near to the bank in case of a problem.

The lockkeeper was on at Sawley lock, meant we had to rope up. My rope throwing skills are almost zero, so trying to throw one over a bollard when it's about 6 feet higher than the boat always fills me with dread. I liked this lockie because with him was a boat hook. It made my life easier when I just had to place the rope over the hook.

We stopped shortly after, I really fancy getting the rod out again but with no fishing licence, went straight onto the website and purchased a 12-month one for £23.80. It's been about two years since I last fished, I'm hoping for more than the usual tiddlers this time.๐Ÿ˜‰

2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Did you report the cruiser vandalism to the police? Probably be a good idea to do so as it is likely they have been doing other stupid destructive stuff nearby.
Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Ian reported it when it first happened on Wednesday last week. The Police never appeared, not important enough!

Blog Archive