About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 27 January 2023

A lot to say about nothing

 January 26th

There are some days when nothing of any import had happened and today was one of them. I mean I could tell you how we made the bed, what we ate for breakfast, how I washed the pots, and he dried etc, but I won't bore anyone with trivial chit chat just so I can say something here. But there again I could tell you that the journey to Te Anau was pretty spectacular with the mountains looming in the distance, and that we were still extremely lucky with the weather. Another hot day ahead which, according to the lady at the i site  in Te Anau, was unheard of in fiordland. Everywhere was so dry, a far cry from when we were here in 2020. Then over a metre of rain fell in a day. We missed that chaos by days. The rivers rose and roads got washed away and stranded tourists had to be airlifted out. Check out this story from Suff.co.nz.  





Anyway, at the DOC site in Te Anau several camp grounds were recommended on the way to Milford Sound. We chose Mackay Creek for no other reason that we liked the sound of it. Words echoed in our ears as we left, get out immediately if the river starts to rise! Hmm. didn't much like the sound of that and rain is forecast for overnight. But on arrival the river was a fair way from this site, and we are raised high enough for any slight rise in river levels not to bother us. We also heard a Kea. I have high hopes of seeing some during our stay at Milford Sound.



 So what did I say about ideal chit chat? Hmm, Ian always said I talked too much. Appears he is right!

And wildlife






No comments:

Blog Archive