About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 4 January 2022

This is one fishermans tale that will do the rounds!

 I forgot to mention the New Year Resolution....I didn't make one! That's not to say I'm not going to try my hardest to lose a few pounds, hoping that may help with the knee problem and as to dry January, well my idea of that is to use a smaller wine glass and make sure that at least half of the wine is still left in the bottle before I go to bed. Will I succeed? Hmm, fingers crossed I keep with it.

Today we crept past The Candy Boat and then pulled onto the facilities. Water had been used with gusto, two showers and two machine washes plus the usual daily usage meant the tank was almost empty. Expected to be there some time, but boy was this a fast tap! Within 10 minutes the tank was full!

Just before Grendon Wharf this derelict and partially sunken boat has been lying here for years. Every time we pass it more foliage appears from the inside as well as the hull. It's quite a feature of the canal network now and long may it remain so. One way of recycling a boat, make it into a waterside garden!

Blimey this seen on an accommodation bridge. Bit worried about the crack appearing. There must be a weight limit even though it is only used by the farmer.

Reaching Alvcote Marina, and who should we see? James and Debbie, The Pen Maker's Boat. Their new boat is called Ernest, we sailed straight past and asked where the boat was? Of course, we had it in our minds that Lois Jane was still theirs, but that had been sold in 2020 They were out walking Dudley who was looking very dapper in his shaggy winter coat. Should have got a photo, very remiss of me. I did get a photo of one very irate fisherman though.

It all happened in an instant. FS had just been put in gear after having stopped to talk to James and Debbie and had about reached tickover speed when by the bridge three fisherman had their rods out. Now this is where it gets a bit silly! You would think that seeing a boat coming, the lines would be  reeled in. Well not so the first fisherman. Consequently, we picked up his line on our stem post. A shouting match ensued between him and me. He said he had asked me to stop, I said with the engine noise and me wearing earmuffs (to stop the wind) I hadn't heard him and anyway it was up to him to bring his line in before the boat arrived not when it arrived! "You should have stopped immediately" he argued, Ian then put in his two cents worth saying a narrow boat does not have breaks and can't be stopped at a moment's notice! He chose not to hear or acknowledge what had been said instead keeping on about how he had asked us to stop and we must have heard him. On and on and on and on, blah, blah blah!!!! I started the reverse still having to listen to his moaning and finally he got his line and lure back! I'm sorry to say I then saw the funny side, started laughing and said that would be the biggest thing he would ever catch in his lifetime, something to brag about to his fellow fishermen. His mates started laughing too and as I eventually went past, told him he should thank me for reversing because if I hadn't, he would have lost not just his line but maybe his rod as well. Begrudgingly he did thank me and when I said today was too nice a day to be grumpy, a smile appeared and a Happy New Year shouted back. Then we caught up with a dog walker. He started laughing too having witnessed it all. The fisherman was a mate of his and couldn't wait to get to the pub that night to regale the tale.



I was still chuckling to myself, Ian had gone below to make a drink when suddenly a branch came crashing down on the offside. OMG. I was not 100 yds from where it fell, would there be any more? Suddenly a chap appeared, he tried o grab the branch, slipped and almost fell in!


He was trimming the branches from the tree


 His wife came to help and she nearly fell in too! Finally, the branch was retrieved, I continued past and more laughter from us all. She mentioned not a boat had been seen and wasn't it typical that the moment the branch was ready to fall, a boat comes along! 

Glascote locks and the set of two that always seem to have boats either ascending or descending. Even today, with us not having seen a single boat on the move, two boats were at the lock. One day we will do these locks without having to wait!  I had dropped Ian before the landing and was holding back waiting for the gate to open. Judging by the state of the towpath again, I expect he would have preferred to get off on the landing.

 Taking a photo of the lock I was dismayed to see the bottom gates open. Not another inconsiderate boater, thought I. 

Then Ian was seen on the footbridge giving me the signal that a boat was coming up. Oh, so that was why the gates had been left open.

Oh, and I remembered to get a photo of that brass plague on the fence. The tale of the leaky lock.

At Fazeley Junction turned right to join the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal. 

 


Not half a mile from the junction the Little Chimney Co boat was moored. A sight for sore eyes because only yesterday our cowl gave up the ghost. The weld holding the plates together had sheered. I held FS while Ian went to see Kym. I cannot recommend him enough. Within 10 minutes the plates had been welded and was as good as new.

Between the junction and Hopwas, not many mooring oppertunities show themselves. One which was suitable was so near to the traffic and the noise with the wind blowing toward us was not welcome so we carried on. It was at Hopwas then, that we finally stopped.

Hopwas mooring

 And today's wildlife,




 

2 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I nearly caught a fisherman in that very spot last trip, he had two bated lines out not lures and as I was on tickover passed the moored boats he didnt hear me until I piped and stopped for him. Thought we may have seen you by now, we are at Woodend Lock at the moment, departing about 10 in the morning for Alrawas and back to Fradley

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Brian, My posts are a day behind so we have already shot straight through Fradley and Alrewas to get past the river. We are now heading for Shardlow so I don't suppose we will get to see you. We hope to be at Trent lock for Friday if the river levels are okay. Hope you enjoy the rest of the winter on the cut, it's always a nice time of the year to travel although very cold at times.

Blog Archive