About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 3 July 2020

Did you have a moment, dear?

I was awake 5.45am, Ian still fast asleep but, hmmm, if I fill the kettle, the water pump would cut in and that would wake him up! We had discussed leaving early this morning just so we could secure a mooring at Braunston. Had roughly 10 miles to do including the three locks to ascend at Hillmorton and the plan was to leave by 6.30am. And my tactic worked! "Oh sorry dear, did I wake you up?" I asked innocently.

It was 6 20am when we snuck away from the mooring, by 6.50 we had reached Rugby and very glad to arrive early 'cos there would be no way I would want to meet another boat just past bridge 58.  At the start of the moorings for Tesco, the offside vegetation overhangs the water so much so that (a) there was not a cat in hells chance of seeing if a boat was coming toward you and (b) if you were unfortunate to meet one it would be bow to bow contact and a nasty mess probably as they bounced off one another. So boaters beware and take it slow!

FS is nearly through the overhang so now we could see if there was something coming. Before that it was impossible.
At Hillmorton both locks were empty. I had dropped Ian off at the water point and watched him walk to the lock. Then, instead of opening the gate, he walked up to the top gate and raised a paddle! What on earth was he playing at???? I watched again as he dropped it rather rapidly and walked back to open the bottom gate. "Did you have a moment dear" I enquired quizzically as I took FS in. Looking very sheepish he said he had no idea what came over him but it must have been my fault for getting him up so early! More like the brain fuddle of old age, methinks!



The surrounding grassy area was looking very neglected. Normally kept in pristine condition what a sad sign of the times that no maintenance has been done at present. I did admire the wonderful display of Common Orchids by lock 2 though.





With all the locks with us, we sailed up the flight although I did have to keep away from the sides in the middle pound, the water levels looked to be down by over a foot.


One of Lock 7 bottom gate beam is badly in need of replacement. Two planks have been screwed to the beam to stop the crack getting any worse and I expect this will be next winters outage.

 
Arrived at Braunston by 10.30am and secured a mooring opposite the pub. Should be interesting to watch tomorrow how the social distancing works seeing as the pub opens its doors for the first time since March. Oh and whilst we have been moored boat after boat has come past. I think the great getaway that should start tomorrow has already started!



We did have Jules fuels motor and butty come past although am I correct in thinking the Jules has sold the business on? The motor had R.A. Dimmock on the side


We expect an engineer to look at the fridge sometime over the weekend. Masks will be worn and we may need to vacate the boat. I do hope it's just a gassing problem (no not Ian) and nothing more serious. Still, we will soon find out.

The mooring tonight,



And wildlife, this on the inside of the cratch cover.



6 comments:

Jennie said...

I assume you are opposite The Boat? Do you know if The Admiral Nelson is opening tomorrow? Our Godson is one of the managers. Please tell Ian I am pleased that I am not the only one to 'have a moment' at a lock every now and then! It is easily done - well that is my excuse and I am sticking to it! Jennie x

Anonymous said...

Ryan works with Jules

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Jennie, Not sure about The Admiral Nelson but if the Boat is opening I expect that pub is as well. Ian will be pleased that he isn't the only one who gets it wrong every now and then. I'm sure we have all done it at some time or other, (: Xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you anonymous. So I'm assuming then, she hasn't sold up.

Carol said...

No Jules hasn't sold up. Ryan has been boring with them for quite a few years now, he's usually on Southern Cross.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Carol.

Blog Archive