About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Yes... the Penultimate day!

April 14th

It's nearly upon us, the time of our escape. Since the start of self-isolation every morning we had asked each other if we were feeling okay. Yes was always the answer although gosh, you should see the look Ian gives me if I even have one cough or sneeze!  It's hayfever season for goodness sake. I'm allowed to sneeze every now and then!
Might be cold today but the sun was out so was this a good day to wash all the curtains? Made the decision to go ahead so by 8 am I was up and all the curtains were in the machine. For a change, Ian could stay in bed to enjoy his green tea, I allowed him this one-time luxury.๐Ÿ˜‰

Also decided I would wash the portholes lace. Not so easy because I had sawn the lace on to metal rings so it would stay in place. Utilised the shower tray as a washing bowl which meant there was no need to remove the lace from the rings.

Wood surround removed to try and get rid of the black bits.


Time for me to kick Ian out of his pit. Now that I was into washing mode, the bedding was also on the list. The big problem when doing all this washing (three machine loads) was how to get it dry. We are so lucky to have the use of the workshop and yard here 'cos Ian strung a rope across the yard, which in itself is a real suntrap, and had no difficulty in getting the whole lot dry by late afternoon.

It's been quite a while since the water filter was changed, normally done at the end of the cruising season but with us off to New Zealand end of last December, it got sort of forgotten. The filter is only used for drinking water and not general usage. With it removed we were shocked at the colour of the filter. The new one Ian fitted was white!





Drinking water tap
This black and white bee landed on the back deck. Took a photo as I do. Turns out it's an Ashy mining bee. I only knew its name 'cos I looked it up. I was amazed to see that this bee was being recorded because not a lot is known of how widespread it's range is. So doing my bit I submitted my findings and sent a photo. 


The very last day tomorrow, it can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Blog Archive