About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 23 April 2020

Amazing what you can do with a plank!


Gosh, we have been doing a lot of walking and found tracks that we never knew were along the canal, all of which cried out for us to try. It's amazing really, but with us not normally here in late Spring or Summer months, the walks were a great find and made us appreciate the Erewash even more.


 On one of our jaunts, a CRT guy was walking the towpath and happened to mention about a fire at Sandiacre Tuesday night, right by Padmore moorings and in one of the upper flats of the old Springfield Mill. Water was pumped from the canal to fight the fire and on hearing this we wondered if this was the reason one of the paddles at Eastwood lock had been raised. 



Water would have had to be run down from Langley to keep the water levels up on the lower section so when we told him about the raised paddle he admitted that doing other jobs around the lock, had completely forgotten to drop it.  Good job Ian did it then! It was also mentioned that half the CRT workers were being furloughed with the other half working until May. Then a swap would occur with the furloughed guys who would resume the work leaving those that had worked now furloughed! Confused??? Yes so was I!

Some work on FS has continued mainly the back deck and swan neck. Ian would love to do the gunwales but with boats either side, that's not possible. We are now thinking of doing something with the back cabin doors, they badly need a repaint.




 We are both getting bored and I know millions of people are all in the same boat (sorry about the pun!) so to try and keep us (namely me) occupied I have subscribed to Amazon Prime. The first thing to view was The Grand Tour. Top Gear was a real favourite of mine and when Clarkson, Hammond and May left the Beeb and then The Grand Tour was shown on Amazon, I was gutted. So now I can binge on it every afternoon.

Had a bit of fun today. Decided walking alone was not enough to keep us fit so Ian found a scrappy bit of rope and I attempted to skip. Good grief, I thought it would be like riding a bike, once mastered never forgotten but most of my first attempts were abysmal! Ian attempted push-ups in the gap of the back hatch. Think he did a better job than me.




Marilyn mentioned planking would be more beneficial after I posted on FB. Not sure if this was what she had in mind ๐Ÿ˜‚


The front of FS can just be seen from the bank so we did our bit to carry forth the message to keep our NHS workers safe. Ian downloaded this poster from the web and then printed it off.




And of course, I've not been idle with the camera on the walks,








2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

You are both very silly.

That plank at least supports social distancing and I think you two should use it in all situations particularly when prone ...

I have discovered that skipping is like jumping on a trampoline now for me - extreme emptying of bladder required first ... TMI, I know, but you have been warned!

Seriously though, give planking a go. Harder than I thought it was. Our friend Neil does 5 minutes, I can do 30 seconds. Good for all muscle groups.

Mxxoo



Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Never knew what planking was until you mentioned it, Marilyn and yes we may well give it a go. As for the skipping and bladder emptying, don't worry I had been to the loo before the attempt. If I continue maybe a packet of Tena Lady will be needed!

Blog Archive