About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 24 September 2018

Another flight of 21

This day was not one I was looking forward to. The Hatton flight 21 locks with the worm and screw paddle gear that have to be raised exactly 23 turns (I counted several to check) to open fully. A fair few needed a humongous effort on my part to even get them started.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Yesterday on our way down Lapworth flight we happened to spy a boat known to us. NbTentatrice. No one seemed to be on board so we vowed to walk back later in the evening to see if they were in. And yes they were, Jennie and Chris with their wonderful collie Monty and visiting Labrador Keira greeted us like long lost friends. Of course, we happened to arrive just before their dinner was ready so chose to stay out and natter on the towpath instead. Time went on and suddenly a bleeping came from inside the boat. Oh no....the smoke alarm had gone off. We hastily said our farewells and Chris and Jennie, apologies now if dinner was ruined because of us. (it did smell delicious though!)

Taken from Ian's phone with dusk setting in 
So back to today. Left Kingswood moorings in glorious sunshine with the smoke from the chimneys giving everything a surreal feel. Turned right to join the Grand Union towards Warwick and cruised the 4 miles to Shrewley Tunnel (which I might add was very very wet), A further 2 miles travelled to reach Hatton Top Lock.


Approaching Kingswood Junction

Not a long tunnel at only 433 yds but it is two way traffic.

The tunnel above I'm assuming was the horse tunnel leaving the boatmen of old to 'Leg through'
At the top of the flight and before we descended we filled the water tank. Below the top lock is a cafe that does amazing bacon sandwiches. So with the hose still attached, Ian went to purchase two. Suitably energised for the task ahead, we began our descent.

Top lock and cafe below.


First five locks were down to me but by the sixth, I was completly exhausted. The second and third lock had boats ascending with volunteer lock keepers to give a hand. Had hoped that maybe one would come down with us, but wrong. And when we found that all the rest of the locks had to be filled first my heart sank.  So at the sixth lock, Ian took over. It made me realise that I must try to improve my fitness level.

Anyway, I did take over again to give Ian a break and I did have help at one lock when two charming young boys and the dad helped to open and close the gates.

Gongozzlers watching every move






A break was needed a third of the way down so stopped on the lock landing for a cup of tea.


After 3 hours 20 minutes (15 minute stop for tea), we reached the bottom and a sigh of relief from us both. Found a mooring just before the Saltisford Arm, lovely and quiet but one downside, TV is abysmal!

So photo time of the journey down the flight,




Bottom Lock

Saltisford Arm straight ahead.
And on the journey to Hatton,

Tree down across the towpath. Good job no one was moored here.

Historic boat graveyard.
 And a seen on the route (on the lock beam)



6 comments:

Jennie said...

Dinner was just fine, thank you Irene - we were so sorry we did not have longer to chat. You did well to get down in 3 hours 20 minutes with a 15 minute break - it took us 3.5 hours, but I had to do all the locks, so I am sure you can understand how exhausted I was when we got to the top and how thrilled I was to get VLK help for the last three locks. Next time we do this, we will take a break for a cuppa - it is just getting too much to do without some sustenance.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Oh thank goodness for that Jennie. And how did you manage those 21 locks by yourself? I need your fitness regime as I was knackered doing just 10!Xxx

nb Bonjour said...

I was chatting with a lockie and another boater on those locks. I am sure they used to be quite easy .... but we agreed it was probably our age! I did get a good tip from a lockie a few years ago though - 4 winds for the lock, count 4 for you, 4 winds for the lock etc. It doesn't take much longer and you don't get so tired. I hope you were only raising one side and not two! Debby
PS I recommend the 5-pack bags of cookies from the major supermarkets (especially double choc chip) as in-flight sustencance - we get them in whenever we have a long flight to do!

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Debbie, Thats a good tip to adopt, must try that next time. Oh and yes I did do both sides. No wonder I was knackered!

nb Bonjour said...

Dave timed it doing one and two paddles, and the lockie confirmed - it's about a minute gained if you do both sides, once you've done the walking there and back, and you've still got to close the blessed things. Debby

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Debbie, I passed your comment onto Ian as he did the Stockton locks. He confirmed what you said and from now on only one paddle will be lifted on all double locks.

Blog Archive