About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 3 July 2018

Kissing the Blarney stone.

The coming and goings from those car drivers carried on well into the evening but for us, nothing untoward happened. In fact, a very quiet night was had although extremely muggy and sticky in all that heat made for an unpleasant nights sleep.

Today we headed for Blarney Castle and gardens. Made an early start to get there for the 9 am opening but we still had to queue as two coaches had already arrived. On our list of must-dos was to kiss the Blarney stone so as soon as we had paid the entrance fee (€13) we made for the castle.



The stone is right up at the top and apart from the steps leading up to the castle another hundred had to be climbed in a circular tower in what I can only describe as claustrophobic conditions. Anyone over portly would have struggled. Anyway, after a 15-minute wait, we reached the stone. The object is to kiss the stone to be given the gift of Eloquence. I went first leaving Ian in charge of taking the photo to prove I had done it. He failed miserably so much so that I made him purchase the photo taken by the castle photographer for €10!


That's how you take a photo, Ian!!!!!
 He was positive he had pressed the shutter button but cameras don't lie and no photo of me was found! Anyway, my photo was not of me kissing the stone. I chickened out you see. Head too far back and that view to the ground whilst lying on my back was a tad more then I could bear. My head started spinning and I said enough was enough. So no gift of eloquence was bestowed upon me today.

The day was glorious again and castle grounds and house spectacular. The Blarney House is still occupied but for three months of the year, the present owner leaves so that the public (for a fee of €6 each) can see his private rooms. No photography was allowed but the little green-eyed monster in me oh so wished it was mine. Luxurious, grand, stately, extravagant, lush....the list goes on and on. 30-minute tour and worth all of the money we spent. Another few hours of enjoying what was on offer around the grounds and we then headed back to the Beast to travel the 80 or so km to a place called Killarney. Found a site for €20 for the night which has washing machines. Did two loads by 5.30pm, pegged them on the line and within 90 minutes all the clothes were dry.

Looking up from the ground and watching others doing what I couldn't



My new best friend.

Druids circle



Blarney House
 Now has anyone ever seen this behaviour before. Robins and a Thrush seemingly sunbathing!




I think this is a Silver Washed Fritillary Butterfly

Not sure what type of  Damselflies these are




It's the Ring of Kerry for us tomorrow. 179 km round trip through some breathtaking landscape. We will probably do it over two days hopefully finding somewhere to stay overnight.

No comments:

Blog Archive