About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 28 June 2018

Saltee Island & Puffins

Another hot day on the cards so plenty of sunscreens was needed. Today we booked to go to Saltee Island to see the seabirds and especially the puffins. A small boat arrived at the pickup point with seating for 12 persons. Us as well as two elderly gentlemen sat at the back. Big mistake! As soon as the boat left harbour the captain put the power on and consequently the amount of water gushing in through the sides and the drain holes at the back meant we all got drenched.







15 minutes later and very wet we arrived at the island. Tide was out so the only way to get on shore was by dinghy and then across very slippery rocks. Unfortunately for me, I was the last to get into the first dinghy to the island leaving Ian behind to catch the next one. Not so sure-footed as in my younger days, a gentleman came to my rescue as I was teetering on one of the rocks unsure of which way to go and took my arm to guide me to shore. Ian being the Gazelle he is negotiated the hazard without mishap.

Saltee Island



Ian with his white cap at the back




We had nearly four hours on the place to please ourselves and first thing was to find self-appointed Prince Michael's throne.



Only house on the island






The rest of the time was taking photos....all 360 of them and mostly of the Puffins. Oh don't worry I'll not put them all on here but if anyone wants to look at a selection feel free to click on this link.






Not sure if these Guillemots had chicks under them


Gannets

Dolphin seen far out to sea


Guillemots

Shag





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to sharing your fantastic adventures on here, always accompnied by your fabulous photos of course.
Your turn of phrase always makes me smile, 'like a Gazzelle' indeed, but I know what you mean.
Puffins are the most endearing birds with their clownlike faces, you caught them posing so beautifully.
Ann M

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you Ann. Hope you enjoy our trip. Xx

Anonymous said...

Countryfile are running a photo competition for their calander maybe you should enter some of your fab pics.
You can e-mail them in.
Ann M

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

This years theme 'Seasons in the sun' wants countryside photos and I usually do close up wildlife so I don't think any of my photos would be any good. Thank you though, for thinking I'm good enough. It is much appreciated. Xx

Blog Archive