About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 22 June 2018

Opps not the best start to the bike ride.

Another day dawned sunny and warm, a good day for our first bike outing. Breakfast was eaten outside in the sun and then two interlopers arrived for a share. A Squirrel and Chaffinch hoping for a crumb or two.





Then into the camp wandered a mare and foal. Wonderful we thought until the foal decided the chairs, awning, straps etc was something it wanted to explore. It seemed to be attracted to Alan for some reason and in the end only waving his arms at it would it move.











By 11 am Ian, Chris, Sheila and yours truly were ready for the 4-mile ride to Lyndhurst. "Mostly cycle tracks on the flat" stated Chris. So with a wobble and some trepidation, I set off.

Sheila led, followed by me, next Chris and Ian bringing up the rear. Well, I don't know what Chris thinks is  'on the flat' means but I found myself walking up the first very steep hill. Sheila and Chris rode up but then they would having electric bikes!!!. Ian passed me being determined to prove he was fit enough to peddle up the hill. Eventually, and breathing hard, I caught them up. Next hurdle was a section that had deep dried ruts from when the track was awash with mud. In my wobbly state, I had not a chance in hell of staying along a very narrow flat section and consequently made a sideways exit into a ditch! So there I was, down in this ditch, bike on top of me, giggling at my predicament and unable to get up. Along comes the cavalry in the form of Chris and Ian and with a mighty effort on their part, managed to get me out. No damage to the bike or myself (other than a huge bruise on my thigh where the handlebars dug into my leg) and thankfully from that point the path evened out and I could once more set off.

Just before reaching Lyndhurst a short section of road had to be cycled. Now, this got me quaking and thoughts of falling in front of a vehicle came to mind. Again Sheila went in front and when a suitable break in traffic appeared, she set off. Not many yards along the road and next we see is Sheila heading for the curb, peddle makes contact and Sheila falling sideways into the hedge! Luckily still no cars appeared so after picking herself up, finding a place away from the road to reattach the chain which had come off, we all made the short journey into Lyndhurst.

Having spent an hour enjoying the place and having lunch, the return journey was relatively stressed free. I'm not walking bow-legged and nor is Ian and we are both feeling more confident about cycling in Ireland. After all....surely one fall is enough to make a cyclist....or is it? 

Obviously, no photos of the two tumbles but a few of the bike ride.

Me after the fall and back on decent track.

Sheila on gate duty

Chris on the electric bike with Ian bringing up the rear.


 
Of course, to celebrate our safe return the Prosecco came out followed by a BBQ. We spent the rest of the evening playing a round robin game of Cribbage.




No plans yet for the morrow. That to be decided.

No comments:

Blog Archive