About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 6 June 2016

What on earth is being attacked. That sound.....horrible.

I think I may have overdone the sun today. Looking a bit like a ripe tomato so slapping on the after sun big time. And tomorrow is for even hotter conditions. Oh eck! Head to toe cover for me and suffer the consequences. I should have known it was going to be hot. Last nights sky had a funny colour to it and the sun was a deep red. The red never shows on a photo showing the sun as the normal yellow. Must be something to do with how the camera sees light.

Travelling a grand total of 5 miles we stopped at Downholland Cross. A lot of residential moorers along this section more then we have seen in days. But with beautiful countryside to view (very flat,  more like Lincolnshire then Lancashire) a pleasant cruise nonetheless. Going through a long deep cutting Ian spied a plaque on the wall stating  'Canal cut started here'. This was backed up by a statue of the Halsall Navvy sculptured by Thompson Dagnall seen at bridge 25. Apparently in 1770 the first sod was ceremonially dug by the Hon Charles Mordaunt of Halsall Hall for the commencement of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

Two more casualties seen on route, both of a cruiser type. One made a fabulous rest area for mum and her ducklings.

A BBQ was planned for later and we were on the hunt for a wide enough towpath so we could sit out of the way of walkers, bikers etc. A spot before the open swing bridge seemed the perfect place. As soon as we had secured FS I got the bucket and sponge to wash the dust from the cabin top and sides before the sun swung round to bake the paintwork. Then it was out with the rod and....on no....for goodness sake,  another two eels were caught. I hate these elongated slimy fish and not wanting to chance catching any more, I decided to sit and read instead.

We were very lucky to have finished cooking and then eaten our chicken and steak because enjoying a Pimms to finish the evening off, a clap of thunder was heard and this seen behind us. A very quick pack up, cratch cover down, Houdini closed and back doors all closed up and we waited for the onslaught. And we waited!!! and waited!!! Nothing, not even one drop of water fell on us. Could have sat out enjoying the evening after all. 

Mind you we did have this horrible screeching noise sounding like birds being attacked by something. It went on for several minutes every 20 minutes and had no idea what it was or where it came from. Discovered afterwards that it is a bird scarer trying to sound like buzzards. In fact the farmer came along and plonked this down in the field. Didn't seem to work as birds still landed on his crops.

And today's wildlife,

No comments:

Blog Archive