About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 4 June 2016

It was a rescue! Not very dramatic though.

Before leaving we did another quick shop. Ian had seen the equivalent of Magnums ice creams (Tesco own) £2.00 for six and although I kept trying to tell him there was no room in the freezer, his retort...we will make room! So I did make room but to do so I have had to make a big pan of soup out of the frozen veg so he could get his Choc lollies in. And it being so warm he's going to be alright with his lollies it's me that has to sup the soup, more like salad weather then soup weather me thinks!

Stopping at the facilities, hard at work were two Fountain employees. We had been told by locals that the rubbish area behind a locked door was a disgrace. Apparently it was crammed full with boaters rubbish and not even a small bag could be fitted in. Seems it had been like that for some time so shame on C&RT for allowing it to get so bad! These two men had a van already stacked to the hilt with black bags and they were still bringing more out. Such a warm day too and they were in the need of sustenance so we made them sweet tea and offered biscuits to keep up their energy. 






Leeds and Liverpool canal is renowned for its swing bridges and another two had to be done today. Both mechanised and both road bridges. Not too much traffic to contend with but on the second bridge Ian walked across to open the barrier manually and a van shot forward before he got back to the second barrier to open that. Talk about impatient!!! And I didn't hang about going through it either so he could have waited!

Crabtree swing bridge


New Lane swing bridge. Barriers have to be manually closed

Just about got the barrier open before the van raced through!

Not far after the second bridge we stopped for the day. Lovely and quiet again and a good spot for Ian to touch up of the paintwork on the gunwales.  I cleared off bug hunting but didn't really find much. Too hot in my opinion as all the bugs have taken to the shade. Anyway it was on my way back to FS that a boat went past Nb Too Hoots. I was asked if I had lost a brown dog as one was wondering all by itself by Heaton Bridge. I had just told them no when their small white Cockapoo leapt off the back deck straight into the canal. They panicked and the boat was thrown into reverse, which in itself could have had a bad outcome if the dog had stayed near the boat. As it was the dog made it to the bank okay but had difficulty in getting out. That's the trouble with the banks on the L&L, the height. I just thank goodness that I was there as I managed get down, lay on my front and scoop the dog from the canal. In doing so the ungrateful dog shook all over me soaking me to the skin! In the mean time the owners managed to get into the bank and armed with towel dried the dog off. They did offer to do me but I declined as FS was not far away. Then having got the dog back on board they were about to set off  and the dog went and leapt off again! This time the lady decided to walk so I joined her and discovered the dogs name was Charlie. And a sweet little thing he was too who prefers Terra firma more then life on the water.






And seen today








This lone duckling never left our boat. I abandoned my fishing as it kept attacking the float and getting caught in the line.
Small fry surrounding FS





2 comments:

Quaysider said...

I've only recently come across your blog but just wanted to say that you take some smashing photos (rubbish a aside that is) ;-)

Mark.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Mark, welcome to my ramblings, and thank you kind sir for your comment. Everyone who knows me will tell you I never go anywhere without my camera. Probably take to many if truth be told and takes me forever to sort out which ones to use. I have also found your web site and will include in my blog list. Maybe one day we will meet on our travels, I do hope so as I love chatting to knew bloggers. Thanks again. Xx

Blog Archive