About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 14 June 2016

How bl**dy early!

Monday 13th

What was I saying about a lie in!!! 5.30am a boat travelling at considerably more then tickover comes past. Why???? It's not as if they can get through the swing bridges until 9. 30am. Hardly going to take 4 hours to reach them! And you can guess what happens when one is breasted up together. One boat goes forward, we go with it. Outside boat stops and travels back and we then crash against the side. If we had not been woken by that blooming early bird then we certainly were then! Sleeps over rated in my opinion! Who needs it anyway.

 Not only that but now we start to have a steady stream of boats, 6.15am, 6.25am you get the picture. Roughly 7am our neighbours Harold and Jane leave on Quintet. This was pre arranged so we had thought of it as our alarm call. By now we were already on the second cup of tea. As they left I suddenly realised our forward motion was still going forward, we hadn't come to an abrupt stop as one does when secured to piling. But... we hadn't been chained to piling. No!!!it was the recycled plastic moulded rubbing strip that our chain was round (lack of rings and no pins allowed) and this was now well away from the side having been pulled from the bolts with our chain dangling in the water! So there was nothing more to do then retrieve chain, start engine, tiller on and find somewhere to moor. Having numerous boats leaving first thing we carried on right to the end and found a secure mooring with other boats. We were not the only ones who thought to do this. Those staying longer like us all decided there was safety in numbers especially now that the Police presence had gone.

Pulled away from the bolts.

Still raining! In for the week now, or so the Beeb told us

Still plenty of boats at this end.

Having lunch at 'New Canalside' cafe run by those with special needs, we enjoyed a very tasty quiche, new potatoes and coleslaw all for the price of £9 for two. They opened the cafe this weekend specially for the visiting boats and public and told us how well supported they had been by us all. This has been the theme with all the locals (apart from those few toe rags in the latter part of last week) they have loved having us here and would love to see the festival as a regular attraction. Even the Police had said the same thing. They reckoned the display of boats was second to none and so good in generating good will. Not sure if it will be run again but both of us are pretty sure we would attend if it was.

Not much to do this afternoon other then get square eyes by watching the box. Sooo looking forward to Wednesday when we do the Liverpool Link. Tomorrow though, we have the wet dock to go see under Liverpool One. Just hope the rain holds off long enough for us to walk the mile or so into Liverpool.

And seen on the park.

No comments:

Blog Archive