About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 17 July 2013

I can not believe my stupidity!

Is it my age or am I just getting more accident prone. Last night I fell between the towpath and the boat only managing to save myself from a ducking by grabbing hold of the bank.  So now let me set the scene.  It was about 7pm and after a cool shower, Ian reminded me that we hadn't replaced the rear hatch back on it's slides. So putting on a pair of jogger bottoms and a T shirt I went up the steps and was about to get of the boat when a boat came past out at almost but not quite, full throttle!  As I gave the culprit an evil look I stepped of the back of the boat and straight between the gap. Down I went but luckily my forward momentem kept me from going straight in. As my right leg went down, my shin scrapped along the piled edge and my foot went against the boat. Ian was standing right next to me and tried his hardest to pull me out but it was only by the adrenalin cursing round my body that gave me the strength to bring my leg back up.Having got onto the bank I lay for a few moments in absolute agony and then heard Ian say I think you have broken your leg. Apparently a crack was heard on my way down but after tentatively feeling around the shin area and wiggling my foot,deduced that no fracture had occurred. Then Ian said I think you had better try to get up because I believe you are sitting on an ants nest! Sure enough hundreds of them were crawling over and around me. Now if anything was going to get me up this would and with a helping hand or two from Ian managed to stand. Both of us was pretty convinced now that I could put weight on that leg that I hadn't broken it but the shin started to swell and the graze from where I had scrapped the piling was bleeding. Thank goodness for Savlon antiseptic wash because after a bit of TLC, cleaning the wound and then bandaging the shin, I managed to hobble back to my chair and rest the leg until bedtime.

I am having difficulty in posting pictures. The Internet is terrible here so will post photos tomorrow and finish my story then


As the internet is rubbish here at Bakers lock I will carry on with todays journey tomorrow. 













5 comments:

Elly and Mick said...

Oh no, Irene! Sorry to hear about your mishap. So easy to do with only a moments lapse in concentration. Hope it's nothing serious and you're soon on the mend.
Take care,
Elly

Jo Lodge said...

You really do need to take more water with what ever your were drinking ha ha ha. Carefully does it my dear. It must be something about our age all this falling down. Hope your feeling better. Take things easy for a day or two. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

KevinTOO said...

Ouch!!

That sounds very painful Irene :(

We hope that you make a speedy recovery :)

Hugs, Kevin xx & Harry xx

Nev Wells said...

Irene,

Sorry to hear that. I hope the leg is easier in the morning. I went to Percy tonight to find the front rope snapped, F1 at Fradley for sure over the last couple of days !!

Nev

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks one and all for your well wishes. Jo, I would have understood if I'd been on the happy juice but it wasn't until after the accident that Ian poured me out a Martini and lemonade. For the shock dont you know, ha ha ha :)

Leg is still quite sore but then I expect it will take a while for it to settle down.

Xxxx

Blog Archive