About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 9 August 2012

Olympics put on the back burner for a change.

Last nights sunset
Another quiet day for me as Ian has left to get the bus into Nottingham.It was a good opportunity to get the rod out again. The first time since the Olympics had started. Fishing here is amazing and I couldn't let this chance go by, so the Olympics, for once, took second place.

Milky dawn

I did take a stroll along the river, more for Jades sake then mine, and sunning themselves on an upturned tree was my most hated birds, the Cormorant.




Although we have moored at Sawley more times then I can remember, I have never walked as far as the weir. So taking photos from 'the wrong side' gave me a whole new perspective.




Amazing! Not a single car or lorry on the M1!



Went back to fishing once I returned but had one eye on the float and one eye on the telly. It was the equestrian dressage I particular wanted to see but that didnt start until later this afternoon, sooooo as Jade was realy suffering in this heat I took her to the slipway for a swim. She seemed so grateful and froliced about for ages. I made sure she didnt venture out into the channel. Last thing I want to happen is for Jade to go under a boat!!


Once she had finally had enough and cooled me off with her shaking, ( thanks Jade)  I had a look in Sawley Marina. The water was as clear as a bell and I spied a predator lurking in the shallows.



Jade was still wet through by the time we walked back and usually she lays on the grassy towpath to dry off but it's all concrete here and because the ants have colonised nearly every inch of it ( she got bitten on her paws yesterday ), I made her lay in the well deck.


I have just watched the dressage. Gold and bronze to GB, and Gold in the women's boxing. We are now reached over 50 medals in the medal table. Go team GB.

No comments:

Blog Archive