About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 24 October 2011

Yipee!!!! PC working again!!

My son is a genius!!! When we arrived at Stoke Bruerne last Friday, the first thing we did was to drop my Netbook to Colin. He kept it all weekend, backed up all my files and then after completely wiping the hard drive, reinstalled Windows. Then Ian took over, put the anti virus program back on, then did a virus scan on every one of my files to see if they were infected and finally returned it to me in perfect working order. Ian is ever so pleased that he doesn't have to share his Laptop any more. No longer will there be any more bickering over who's turn it is to use the PC!!!

Now to update my blog.

As you may have gathered we are at Stoke Bruerne. Our daughter in law Iwona's parents are visiting from Poland, so luckily the timing was right for us to spend some time with them. Language of course was a barrier as we don't speak Polish and they don't speak English. but its amazing how one can communicate with a load of hand gestures!!

Joseph and Vwacha with Oliver
While moored on the visitor moorings above the first lock, Colin brought young Oscar to visit. |Now that he is 3 Colin was keen to show him the workings of the locks so we joined the throngs of gongoozelers viewing the proceedings. Back on our boat Oscar decided he wanted to walk over the roof, and being the" independent little sole that he is," didn't want Colin to hold him. I was having kittens by this stage but when he tried to walk on our solar panel, Colin decided enough was enough.
 
It wasn't long after, that we decided to go for a jaunt to the pub for a pint. Just before we set off a 60ft boat went passed and told us they wanted to wind round before the locks. I really thought that it couldn't be done seeing as the trip boat was usually moored there. Well sure enough they tried and tried and tried again. So close but not close enough!! In the end they took the button fenders off forward and aft and finally they completed the turn,.


I am always looking out for the unusual and I found it on a roof by the Boat Inn. What I want to know is why these animals are Incorporated in the thatch. Is it to ward off evil spirits?  Isn't it a work of art though. So impressive.

Today we decided to move down the locks to what Ian calls the ' Long Pound'. As we wanted as much sun as possible to fall on our solar panels we found a decent mooring not far from the third lock down and away from any over hanging trees. Ian decided to walk down to the facilities and empty the loo. On the way down he saw this cruiser which had seen better days. Now last Saturday, on our way to Colin's by car,  we noticed in the distance something burning and giving off loads of smoke. Judging by this picture I assume this was the cause!

 Tomorrow we go to Eastbourne again. My stepmum Norma, is just about 'holding her own'. Her condition hasn't deteriorated but also its not to good. I'm still unsure if she will make her 85th birthday in December, but stranger things have happened. Now you may think I,m mad but just before Dad died both my sister Susannah and I asked him, if at all possible, to send us a sign that there is life after death. We asked for a white feather. Well yesterday Susannah told me she found a feather on her bed. Could this mean that he has told us there is???? I will leave you to ponder over it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Animals on the roof .

Thatcher's trade mark !

At least it is in Somerset.

Blog Archive