About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 28 October 2011

Back on the Oxford again

Our visit to Norma in Eastbourne went better then expected. Her condition is stable and she only needs oxygen now and then. I suppose the most worrying thing was that she seems to have completely forgotten that Dad died last month.  She doesn't even remember going to the funeral. It was very hard to convince her that Dad wasn't coming back but I think toward the end of our visit she came to except it.

We left Stoke Bruerne on Wednesday morning and decided to stop for the night at Nether Heyford. On the way and with camera to hand I spied a Heron on the bank hoping to catch its breakfast. Knowing that Herons usually take off as soon as the boat gets too near, I had my camera on and ready for the moment. The Heron took off. I pressed the shutter and.....................


I'm sure I'm not the only one to make a right mess of it. Nice view of its bottom though!!!!

Yesterday morning, during a lull in the very welcome rain, we set of for Long Buckby. It wasn't long before a fine drizzle set in. This was okay until it slowly got heavier and heavier. By the time we got to Long Buckby locks I was cold, wet and miserable. Ian wanted to get up the flight to Anchor Cottage, the shop that sells loads of canalania but is also famous for their Buckby Cans. As we loved the can that Tricia painted for us at the end of last year, we decided to order another larger one to compliment it. We moored for the night between the locks.  That was a bad bad  move. Boats get locking down and that, combined with bottom gate leakage, left us tilting alarmingly. The poor dog kept slidding toward the table. It was only by moving her bed  toward the wall did she manage to stay put! Thankfully the volunteer lock keepers arrived early the next morning and managed to fill the pound enough for us to get away from the side. So, this morning, Instead of rain we had fog. As it started to lift and the sun came up, this scene presented itself and as I normally have my camera nearby, managed to capture the moment.  It was only after I had downloaded the photo on my computer that I noticed how vibrant our flowers were against the backdrop of the mist and the willow tree.

On the way to Hillmorton and between bridge 80 and 81 on the Oxford, who should we spy but Maffi on NB Milly M. We gave the usual greeting and as we passed his boat I noticed the Muddy Waters poster in the window. That's when it clicked who the boat belonged to. Unfortunately we didn't stop but I'm hopeful that as he is in this neck of the woods, our paths will eventually cross and we will finally get to say hello.

4 comments:

nb Chance said...

Hi Ian and Irene, Sounds like we will finally meet you tomorrow, we are moored by the golf course at Rugby, so should pass you tomorrow on our way to Braunston for the weekend. Look forward to seeing you, Doug and James

Unknown said...

Hello Irene fancy seeing you there. I am in and around here for a while. I am in braunston tonight until Monday then I am heading for Hawkesbury and Coventry for next weekend. Are you locals?

Unknown said...

PS I dont appear to be on you blog roll a mere oversight I assume :)

Jo Lodge said...

Hi Irene and Ian. Finally got into your blog after half an hour. Geesh I do hate GPRS. Anyway sorry had to giggle about the dog sliding towards the table. That pound is dreadful for mooring in... I know a bit late to tell you now hahahaha. Hope to see you soon Jo xxx

Blog Archive