About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday, 24 June 2016

Farewell Liverpool and shouldnt that be unplugged first?

Were we shocked by the EU result this morning?  Well in this camp it was divided so a lot of discussion between ourselves had been going on for weeks. On one hand it's good that Britain has got it's independence back but on the other hand could we have opened up a can or worms? I expect our argument will continue for a while but both of us are in agreement on one thing, we've made our bed so now we lie on it!

Back to Thursday 23rd

I'd like to say we left on a cold grey morning 'cos that's how we felt leaving this wonderful city but the morning was glorious and a far cry from the rain we experienced when we arrived. As second boat to leave the dock (6 due to leave today) we were only beaten by our neighbour minutes earlier. Mind you they very nearly had a serious mishap.  I had gone to FS's bow to untie when a shout came from nb Scallywags crew member and a sudden hard reverse by the captain. They had only gone and left their cable still plugged into the electric socket. I raced to help them and unplugged it just in time. We had a few 'phew' moments from them and me 'cos goodness knows what damaged would have been done if I hadn't got to it when I did!

C&RT met us at Mann Island lock and we were locked through before 8am. Short handed they asked if the crew from both boats (Ian and Tony) would do the honers at Prince's lock and then lift a paddle ready for the next penning. Having lifted the paddle, crew picked up, it was through the tunnels, along Sid's ditch and then a wait at the bottom of Stanley Locks where we were met by Sid, this time enjoying the sunny weather instead of the torrential rain he endured during our passage to the dock a week ago.

Sid helped us lock up the final 4 locks.

The journey back to Litherland took about an hour. We passed the trolley graveyard and spied a Terrapin sunning itself on a reed bed. At Litherland only one space was to be had so in a way very glad that we were the second boat to leave. We said farewell to John on Scallywag as he continued his journey wanting to reach the deadline of 1pm at the Swing bridges.

May stay for a couple of days. Quite fancy seeing the Antony Gormley figures rising out of the sea and with it only a twenty minute bus ride away seems daft not to.

Trolley graveyard

Litherland looking pretty full
 And seen on this sunny day along Sid's ditch

No comments:

Blog Archive