About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 9 June 2016

A Police presence was needed

Wednesday 8th

Even having a lazy morning it turned out we were first to reach Hancocks swing bridge. Unexpected as we knew 7 boats were booked in for 1pm.

Wasn't to long before we were joined. Only 5 boats instead of the 7 expected. We had heard on the boaters grapevine that several boats had been stuck the wrong side of Spencer swing bridge (near to Parbold) due to a goose having flown into a power line and shorting out all the electrics, not just from the bridge, but the village as well. Goose didn't come off unscathed either. Is this what is known as cooking ones goose? Anyone for roast Goose tonight! (rotten aren't I)

About 12.45pm a Police officer arrived on his bike and waited on the other side of the bridge. We had heard about incidents happening to boats as they approached Liverpool but surly.....not at this lovely spot. Anyway he kept himself to himself until C&RT arrived.

It was when we were all about to set off that the reason for the Police was revealed. In the past drivers taking a short cut to the motorway had got rather irate at the long wait and threatened C&RT so the peace was kept by a Police presence. It was nothing to do with being escorted into Liverpool after all.

Only two boats heading the other way. Looks like we got us a convoy!
C&RT reckoned it would take us 40 minutes to arrive at Netherton Swing Bridge. In fact we did it in 37 minutes and got there before C&RT. The convoy all made it as the bridge was being opened and from there on we were on our own. 
Netherton Swing Bridge
 Last swing bridge before the facilities and once through it was obvious that only one space was available. I managed to squeeze in as FS was lead boat and all the rest had to breast up. With just the loo to do we soon left them to the tap. Leaving we spied moorings by Tesco, pulled in and now settled for the night. This mooring is gated so fairly secure. It's onto Eldonian village tomorrow to take up our allotted mooring for the rally.

At the facilities. Past the wide beam and Tesco moorings.
 And on route this spanial enjoying a dip but struggled to get out especially as that weed was everywhere. Managed in the end but goes to show how easy a dog could drown because of the high banks.

And the wildlife,

1 comment:

Tom and Jan said...

That wide beam was there when we visited Liverpool months ago! The boater told Jan he was waiting for medical treatment but was intending to head to his second boat in Greece.

Blog Archive