About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 2 September 2013

What with builders and boaters one can forget about a lie in!

Last night view. Fenny Stratford Lock and Red Lion pub
 At 7.15 am the builders appeared and started work at the house next to the Red Lion pub. Lorries arrived, cement mixers started up and lots of shouting by the workman. Come on lads! Where was the usual compulsory cup of tea before starting work at 11am! Then at 7.30am an inconsiderate boater, having arrived yesterday at 5.30pm and spent the night on the lock landing, started his engine. Our back button was up against his button that's how close he had pulled back to try and clear the bollards. He failed miserably as the majority of the boat still covered the landing and the noise of his engine, as well as the horrendously smelly fumes from his exhaust, made us depart our cosy bed before we were asphyxiated.  With the engine going I fully expected them to leave but instead they stayed for another couple of hours before eventually setting off.  It was so annoying because this was the one day where we had no need to get anywhere fast, having decided when we arrived in Fenny Stratford to find hairdresser for me and barbers for Ian. Also a visit the tackle shop in Bletchley was a must, not for bait, but to try and replace my fishing stool which had unfortunately been burnt by the last BBQ we had at Marsworth. You may wonder how on earth we managed to do that. Well it was my fault as I placed the BBQ on my stool the wrong way up. Usually I leave it up to Ian as my stool makes a handy BBQ stand, and Ian places the BBQ on the upturned legs not the canvas seat as I stupidly did!

Anyway, hairdresser found and appointment booked, well for me anyway as Ian never has to wait at the barbers, and so it wasn't until gone 1pm that we left Fenny.

Hope this bridge doesn't collapse!
Took us about an hour to get to Campwell Park and we were very surprised to see our preferred moorings empty. Back in 2011 we struggled to find a spot! Makes one wonder whats happened to all the continues moorers. Maybe C&RT are finally doing their job and moving them on!

And finally:-

Big stretch

No comments:

Blog Archive